High Tide Aquatics

Plumbing Question for new tank

I got the Mag 3. It's loud! how do I quiet it down? put some foam under it or something? I'm considering downgrading to the mag 2, because I need to throttle the Mag 3 down anyways.

I have nothing to compare it to! haha. I can hear the water falling but other than that it's pretty quiet. Remember to teflon the threads! It's not in the instructions and it caused me many headaches. Get the 700 if you plan to get a mag 3. Whatever they do to make it quiet lowers how much it can take. I got the 300 nano thinking it would be enough, after overhead and stuff, it is if I close the air hole (but then it's loud as hell) but with the air hole open I have to throttle down my pump with a ball valve. If you want I'll trade you my new mag 3 (fresh water leak testing only) for a new mag 2, straight up.

Are you getting noise from the mag3 and tank contact? I used a few dots of aquarium silicone on the foot of the pump and it dampens the noise. Make a dot on each of the 4 corners the pump is standing on, let it dry, and put it back in the sump. Hope that helps.

Another thing that may help is using a small amount of flex tubing between the pump and the tank. This will help isolate the vibration to only the pump.

Thanks guys ill try the silicone first. I put the ball valve close to the pump and would probably have to buy another if I switched to flex (not that I mind). Should I put some insulation or Styrofoam under the sump?

Back