Reef nutrition

Pod issues...

So my 5g pico has a serious pod population. Both Copepods and Amphipods. The issue I am running into is they are spawning like crazy and are starting to wrap up around my zoas and are even digging holes into the polyps!

So, what do I do? I have no fish and just a fire shrimp for some movement in the tank. Having a fish will be near impossible since a skimmer is not really an option. So do I get a juvenile fish that will eat pods temporarily to lower or rid the pod population and then sell that fish off? Most fish will not work in such a small tank.... Do I keep the fish and hope water changes would be enough to control the tank parameters with a fish? Do I let the pods just run free and eat up everything?

I am trying to practice the best husbandry for the tank and the corals. What is the best solution here?

I've had Large Ampipods take out a bunch of Z's and P's before... I usually have wrasses do that job of eradicating them.

6line is a great hunter of these like buggers but also have a bad attitude against new arrivals into the tank or other wrasses. ( in my experience on keeping them before ) but if in a pico by it self or with another fish that it won't bug then your fine.

lemme guess... this tank is under a year old? If so, they'll disappear in such large numbers over time. New tanks they tend to bloom, then die out to more sustainable numbers.

Picked up a sixline from DC aquatics last night. He will be the only fish in my tank and he is small, 3/4 inch at best. If he appears to be getting too big or unhappy, I will move him to someone else for his own health. I will be keeping a close eye on him today and see if he will come out of his cave and plays around the tank.

Back