Our mission

Polishing Aquarium Glass

So it seems that Brandie's 210 has some glass staining or corrosion that is seemingly difficult to remove. I've tried polishing it with a rotary machine with a glass polishing pad and compound and haven't had much luck. I've also tried auto detailing clay as well as Bar Keeper's Friend. Brandie has already tried white distilled vinegar and CLR with plastic wrap to increase immersion/saturation time on the vertical panels. I'm just about short of ideas minus using really find sandpaper. You can check out the pictures below to see what we're dealing with.

http://smu.gs/12ruXKW

Does anyone have any other ideas? We don't expect to get the glass completely perfect (although that would be awesome) but we definitely want to minimize this imperfection so that it doesn't affect viewing clarity.

Replace the front piece with a nice sheet of Starphire / low iron glass?
If you are handy, it might not be so bad, and it would be better than the original.

And where would we get the money to do that? LoL.

If only it were that easy, we would just get a full Starphire glass tank. It's a non-option for us unless the members would like to help donate to the cause. ;)

denzil said:

If only it were that easy, we would just get a full Starphire glass tank. It's a non-option for us unless the members would like to help donate to the cause. ;)

If DIY, it is not that expensive. I think about $15 per sq ft.
I forget. (I researched a plywood + starphire tank way back)
Plus some razor blades and new glue for corners.
So maybe $200 - $300.
Ok, not cheap, but about the same as your power bill for < 2 months I bet.
A bigger issue is you REALLY need to do it right, or you get a big sudden 200 gallon flood.

rygh said:
denzil said:

If DIY, it is not that expensive. I think about $15 per sq ft.
I forget. (I researched a plywood + starphire tank way back)
Plus some razor blades and new glue for corners.
So maybe $200 - $300.
Ok, not cheap, but about the same as your power bill for < 2 months I bet.
A bigger issue is you REALLY need to do it right, or you get a big sudden 200 gallon flood.

Still, financial situation as of right now isn't pretty. I am job hunting after being laid off in January, and he's job hunting to move up in the industry. Hopefully I'll have a job before the tank is cycled, or else I won't be able to put lights on it.

Re-siliconing glass isn't a problem at least. We've done it before on an albeit smaller tank, but damn it turned out well. Haha this time, I'll get cheaper silicone though xD

Might seem silly, but have you tried just a flat razor blade? I'm always shocked at what you can do with a razor blade and glass. It would take some muscle, but might just work.

denzil said:
I've tried polishing it with a rotary machine with a glass polishing pad and compound and haven't had much luck. I've also tried auto detailing clay as well as Bar Keeper's Friend. Brandie has already tried white distilled vinegar and CLR with plastic wrap to increase immersion/saturation time on the vertical panels. I'm just about short of ideas minus using really find sandpaper..

You've already brought out the heavy artillery - this is one tough nut to crack!

Two things that could be worth a try:
1. Goof Off: the Heavy Duty formula is supposed to be water-based, but I would still proceed with caution.
2. Isopropyl alcohol: though this seems weak compared to anything else you've tried, it's effective in a surprising number of applications - just don't get it on the silicon seams.

Yeah +1 on testing with water first.
Then try vinegar for longer, by laying tank on it side and soaking overnight, one side at a time.
Although you may want to tape plastic over the silicone. Days of soaking in acid solution might affect it.
I thought of Muriatic Acid, but that is really just faster than vinegar, not more effective. And scary stuff.

Back