POLL: Are you interested in an Aquarium Photography Workshop by BAR?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Enderturtle, Mar 16, 2015.

?

Would you go if we had an Aquarium Photography Workshop?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. Not really interested

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

4/2/2015 Edit: Currently not seeing enough interest. This will not happen until we see more interest in this workshop.

I want to know if you people would be interested in attending if BAR set up an Aquarium Photography Workshop.

The workshop would cover:

• How to take pictures with cheap cameras/ phone cameras. (look at these quality iphone pictures)
    • How to take pictures with DSLR cameras.
    • Limitations and possibilities with our cameras.
    • Useful tools/equipment for taking nice pictures.
    • How to take clear pictures of your aquarium and it's inhabitants.
    • How to deal with color balance. (Ever take a picture of your aquarium and everything is horribly PURPLE/BLUE?)
    • How to take macro shots. (To show all the closeups of folds and tentacles of your corals)
    • How to take pictures of fast moving fish.
    • How to frame/control picture composition.
    • How to post-process pictures.
    We could bring/setup a temporary aquarium for live demonstration / hands on learning.

I can take a decent clear shot of my corals/tank inhabitants but I know for a fact that some of BAR's members are professional photographers. So we could have a mix of amateur and professional photographers teaching this workshop.

If we only have 10 people or less interested, this ain't gonna go.
    If we see a lot of interest, we might be able to schedule an impromptu workshop into our events schedule.

How about if we had a single item raffle too? Just to mix things up. :)

Click Yes or No in the Polls.

MelanurusWrasse2.jpg
    coral-4.jpg MISWNHd.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. Prisonfood53

Prisonfood53 Guest

Ender awesome Idea. Will photoshop lessons be included so I can make my 2 polyp zoa frags look like that pic? ;)

Just a thought and I know the for small $30 membership it would be difficult, but has there ever been talk of a getting a macro lens on the equipment list? Just throwing it out there.

3. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Good idea prisonfood.

But macrolens cannot be a part of the equipment list. Mainly because macrolenses are specific to the camera. A canon macro lens does not work on a nikon camera or olympus camera or sony camera. Too many lenses and cameras out there.

BAR is not going to buy 4 macro lenses and 4 different sets of extension tubes to accomodate for everyones different cameras. :p

Sorry @Prisonfood53 but this workshop would not be able to turn your two polyp frags into 50 polyp colonies :p

4. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Might be possible to pick up an older manual focus Nikon macro lens for that price (e.g. Nikon 55mm f/3.5 micro). It doesn't go to 1:1, but should be more than sufficient for general macro uses since you won't be at 1:1 a number of times when shooting macro. Otherwise, just pick up a reversing ring and flip any 50mm lens.

50mm f/1.4D normal shooting at closest range
    [​IMG]

Same lens with reverse ring
    [​IMG]

You can find rings for just about any mount for ~$10.

Enderturtle likes this.
  5. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

I can get my camera... teach some hands-on shooting also get my laptop and demo using photoshop too :)

Enderturtle likes this.
  6. Ahruk

Ahruk Guest

What if we did this at one of our sponsors stores? We could show our sponsors some love and have the opportunity for hands on experience with taking pictures :)

7. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

8. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

Great idea. I would be in for this. I can bring my Canon DSLR and tripod.

Anyone using any open source products for editing? I've played around with Rawtherapee and Gimp with some success.

9. RavenSF

RavenSF Supporting Member

Are there any updates on this workshop?

jonmos75 likes this.
  10. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Well not at the moment. Its definitely something we can do.

But were busy planning other events at the moment.

Sounds like there are a ton of people who would like to help teach it too.

June 13= Local Fish Stores Rally
    July= aquarium controller workshop
    August= Prepare for Regional Frag Swap in September

Maybe we can do it in October in conjunction with the tentative mini frag swap.