Cali Kid Corals

Polyp Poisoning.... Stupidest thing I think I've ever done.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=6287.msg80136#msg80136 date=1234314867]
Don't worry about the sickness part, the flu, stomach flu, and a bad case of the common clod is going around all the schools...
[/quote]

Like Jeff said, reread this tread. Offcourse they should worry about the sickness part, they all got sick because of what happened after boiling the rock. This tread has been very informative and I am sure a lot of people have learned about poisons that have to do with our hobby that they, including me, never really thought about. Be thankfull it didn't get into a situation they ended up in the hospital!

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=6287.msg80046#msg80046 date=1234302374]
I've heard something similar from Sanjay. He was retelling a story where a large zoa covered rock caused similar problems before being left out for the winter and even thawing out after winter.
[/quote]

:( The entire thread I was thinking that and was about to post it and...wham.. you posted it :)

Jeff, I've heard similar stories with paly and boiling water but yours is by far the scariest to me. I'm glad your family and yourself are all right, it can be a nasty ride.

The truth is we were all so terribly effected by this that we should of gone to the hospital but were just so incapacitated that we were not thinking clearly.

This got me thinking: I wonder if nuking by way of a strong oxidizer (lots of H2O2 or oxyclean) or a strong base (kalkwasser) would react with the palytoxin to convert to a less harmful compound...of course it could go the other way.

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6287.msg80266#msg80266 date=1234333689]
The truth is we were all so terribly effected by this that we should of gone to the hospital but were just so incapacitated that we were not thinking clearly.
[/quote]

They'd likely need to be informed by you (or the med forums) what it was they where dealing with as palythoa toxin isn't all that common.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=6287.msg80268#msg80268 date=1234333737]
This got me thinking: I wonder if nuking by way of a strong oxidizer (lots of H2O2 or oxyclean) or a strong base (kalkwasser) would react with the palytoxin to convert to a less harmful compound...of course it could go the other way.
[/quote]

Ingestion? Or you talking for the boiling water?

Referring to an alternate to boiling to nuke an infested rock.

Also Gresham (figured you might know this one) is there a treatment for a palythoa toxin beyond the control of symptoms?

Now that makes more sense. I was thinking "ingest oxyclean"...that sounds so 70's (mixed with pop rocks :D )

I might be wrong but I don't think there is anything they can do for you other then treat the symptoms.

Agree... And we hadn't figured out the cause until this morning after the symptoms recided and we were able to think clearly about it.

We called poison control this morning and relayed what happend. They said about all can be done is treat the symptoms. There is no antidote or known treatment to counter act the effects. In extremis they recomend constant observation at a hospital... Which is what we should of done. But now that the symptoms have mostly gone away the best thing we can do is take meds for the pain and rest.

[quote author=70Cuda link=topic=6287.msg80288#msg80288 date=1234334561]
So sorry Jeff to read what happened to you. Are you going to keep that pot you used to boil the rock or throw it out?
[/quote]

The container is still outside of my house waiting for me to deal with when I get back from New York on Thursday. It's an extra large ziplock container that I will likely just throw away just to be safe.

[quote author=alve link=topic=6287.msg80291#msg80291 date=1234334919]
How is everybody doing tonight? Could you cancel your trip and stay home with the family?
[/quote]

Over the last few hours we are all starting to feel 100%. We've been on round the clock advil though so I'm sure that is helping. A solid nights rest tonight will be important. Unfortunately my NY trip was a must do due to some major meetings for our company with a few of the major Brokers in the country. Wasn't able to cancel... the flight over was not fun but now that I'm here I'm feeling nearly 100%. Gonna tank another round of advil here in about 10 minutes though. :)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=6287.msg80282#msg80282 date=1234334291]
I was thinking "ingest oxyclean"...that sounds so 70's (mixed with pop rocks Cheesy )
You owe me a new flat screen monitor and a Hoegaarden!
:D
[/quote]

I know some one giving away a 17" viewsonic, will that work? :p

I wanted a :lol: smiley but figured the tongue was an OK sub for the time being :)

Wow thats crazy.. I do remember though something being posted on reefcentral about a similar experience someone had with trying to boil liverock to rid it of zoas or aptasia or something.. THey had similar results as yours. I remember the thread here on bar cuz it was discussed and that was the first time I had heard of using oxy clean to nuke LR from Jeremy.. I had recommended Potassium permangenate to the OP and Jeremy also recomended the oxyclean.. I couldn't find the link to the thread but I'm sure its around somewhere...

[/quote]
I was thinking that too, some oxyclean, potassium permanganate might be cool too (bonus of purple rocks afterwards!), and then pour whatever biproduct down an outside drain (not in the yard, last thing you want is your fruit tree making palytoxin filled tasties!)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6287.msg80327#msg80327 date=1234369106]
[/quote]
I was thinking that too, some oxyclean, potassium permanganate might be cool too (bonus of purple rocks afterwards!), and then pour whatever biproduct down an outside drain (not in the yard, last thing you want is your fruit tree making palytoxin filled tasties!)

[/quote]

dude! If you pour it down the drain, it might flow into the bay! OK, so granted that these things palytoxins came from the ocean originally, but still! I don't know how toxic oxyclean (seriously, buy the Safeway generic "Oxy" product and save some money) is, or potassium permanganate is.

Bonus obscure reference: "The toppings contain Potassium Benzoate"

V

PS. "That's bad"

Back