Our mission

Pom-Pom Crabs! OMG! :)

Ok so first, i just bought 2 pom-pom crabs! Do they randomly grow pom-poms or do they have to find some?
Also, are these crabs RARE?
As i sit here watching them they are picking up white stuff and putting it on their claws

Nice find! I've always loved the look of pom pom crabs but have never found one with two anemones. From what I know they do not "grow" anemones but there is some speculation that they can encourage their symbiotic anemones to split. There was an article on it somewhere; I'll try to find it. A healthy pom-pom with two anemones is rare from my research, so you are very lucky to find two. If you have any trouble with them I'll gladly buy one off you. I do not have any wrasses or invert hating fish.

Also, wil these guys bite if picked up or handled? They look cute and i want to play with them
I assume you are kidding right? ;) Give it some time and put your hands in the tank to do some work. I had luck with a pair of cleaner shrimp that would come over and clean my hands and a coral banded that wouldn't run from me but I'd say it's just a matter of time and trust.

Ok thanks for the info. I couldn't tell from your post if you thought my crabs had the anemones on them. Just to clarify, they don't and that is why i asked my question. I bought the last 2 at the LFS. I'm not sure if they will fight, but if they do i might sell one. I had no idea what they were until I got them home and did research. They are currently about 3/4 of an inch in size. I found out one was a male and the other was female by looking at their abdomens. I currently know the location of them both but they will probably hide within a few days. I'm not sure but the LFS may still have some. I'm going to the LFS again next week to see if there are any more.If I find some, I'll buy them and may sell them to BAR members.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5227.msg64522#msg64522 date=1226876984] I had no idea what they were until I got them home and did research.
[/quote]

It's a really bad idea to buy animals before knowing what they are and what their care requirements are. Take your time, do your research, think about it, and THEN buy the animal.

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=5227.msg64553#msg64553 date=1226885982]
[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5227.msg64522#msg64522 date=1226876984] I had no idea what they were until I got them home and did research.
[/quote]

It's a really bad idea to buy animals before knowing what they are and what their care requirements are. Take your time, do your research, think about it, and THEN buy the animal.

[/quote]

I spent about 3-4 months planning/thinking about my second fish in the tank ;)

Well the dude at the fish store said "They are very reef safe, easy to keep, and are good scavengers"
That to me sounds like a good decision. And it took me an entire two minutes to decide they were cute and they would be perfect! :)
That is my excuse... Again ;D

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5227.msg64579#msg64579 date=1226892469]
Well the dude at the fish store said "They are very reef safe, easy to keep, and are good scavengers"
[/quote]

Until the anemones become detached from the crab, which usually happens quit quickly in a reef tank~! Pom Pom Crabs
These crabs are nothing but eye candy imho...

Euphyllia. You are constantly getting good, logical advice by seasoned people in the hobby and you are constantly trying to find excuses to avoid the advice. I'm curious as to why? It's great that you are passionate about the hobby, but sitting down and thinking through your decisions rather than deciding based on emotion, will help you be a much much better reefer.

If I can care for the crabs and they are fine, why are you making a big deal? I found them at The LFS and asked if they are ok for my tank and they are.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5227.msg64770#msg64770 date=1226966315]
If I can care for the crabs and they are fine, why are you making a big deal? I found them at The LFS and asked if they are ok for my tank and they are.
[/quote]

because of this:
I had no idea what they were until I got them home and did research.

This isnt' the first time you have made impulse buys and neglected sage advice.

Often times when you ask a question, you get a good response from the people on this board. And when this happens, it seems most of the time you seem to brush off the advice, because you didn't that answer you're looking for.
IMO, I don't think anyone wants to deliberately go and make anything a "big deal," but in the end, everything comes back down to BAR's mission to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.
Just because things worked out this time around with the pom-pom's doesn't mean the next time you make an impulse buy will go as nicely as this one did. Granted we all make impulse buys in the beginning, it is something we should learn from. Because ultimately if things don't work out, you lose money (I don't know about you - but I don't have money to throw away), and worse of all, sometimes the animal doesn't survive due to negligence. Aquarium keeping is about learning to do things the right way (the hard way sometimes), and then developing your own methods of doing things. Just be sure to take everyone's advice with a grain of salt ... even the LFS's.

It wasn't an "Impulseive Buy" I had planned on getting some sort of crab. I wont buy anything that I know will do badly. It's not like I'm going to go out and buy a queen conch, fire coral, and a mantis shrimp!

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5227.msg64782#msg64782 date=1226967438]
It wasn't an "Impulseive Buy" I had planned on getting some sort of crab. I wont buy anything that I know will do badly. It's not like I'm going to go out and buy a queen conch, fire coral, and a mantis shrimp!
[/quote]

You planned on getting a crab: not impulse
You got a pompom crab because it was cute without researching anything until after you got home: impulse.

What if the pompom was generally reef safe, but was known to attack clown fish and kill them and that this information was not known to the LFS guy but was widely known if you did a little search?

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5227.msg64579#msg64579 date=1226892469]
it took me an entire two minutes to decide they were cute and they would be perfect! :)
That is my excuse... Again ;D
[/quote]

And as much as I hate to say it, not all people at your local LFS are going to either 1) know for sure if something is "reef safe" as it can have different meanings depending on the rest of your tank inhabitants and 2) aren't just trying to sell you something. That is not to say your particular store is in either of those categories, just not a terrible idea to ask questions here before you jump into something with both feet without knowing for sure.

There are many people here that are very knowledgeble and/or have made mistakes that you can learn from. The whole purpose of this club is to learn from each other and ultimately to "promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life".

Ok I think I get the "BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life". But obviously, a 3/4-inch crab can't kill at 2 1/2 inch swimming clownfish with teeth! That is just logical! I always ask about animal before I buy them and that is what I did. I'm careful enough not to buy a evil monter that will destroy my aquarim.
But since we are on the topic of the LFS's bad advice, I was thinking about getting the Red Sea Max and putting a Rose Anemone in it and moving my clowns over into it by themselfs. Is that ok? The red sea max has 120watts of light and the internet said rose anemones need less that 4 watts per gallon. Is that correct?

Very funny Elite

Back