Kessil

Pork's tank #1

Heh, I thought I had noticed that it was modbus based. Can't be too many tanks running that!

I was very tempted over the summer to do some custom controller stuff for my tanks with Profibus/Profinet with leftover hardware from a defunct work project. It would have cost me too much to interface the sensors into the system though and I was missing some critical know-how for the sensor interfacing part. I do have a couple of flexray boards laying around and some compatible 8-bit D-A and A-D interface boards... you're right though Arduino is probably easier!

Love the big industrial controller. How can you get rid of that?
Easiest semi-diy controller is to get a reef angel, and customize it.
That is how I started out.
Although I have been doing a full new one as well, really just for fun. Arduino Mega based.
Here: build thread

Ah, I saw that thread before. Mine is turning out very, very similar.

My hardware so far is:

For navigation I haven't decided on a rotary encoder with a built-in push button (think old iPod style navigation but with a knob) or a 5 way joystick (u/d/l/r + push in). I found a great GUI library for Arduino and LCDs that is making me lean towards joystick, since it doesn't support encoders for navigation input. 4 of the PWM outputs will be reserved for a 4-channel LED fixture which will be the next project after this one. Once I get the basic functionality going with the ATO and monitoring I'll be doing what you did and hooking things up to Pachube. Really cool service there.

What sensor are you using to measure the sump water height?

bondolo said:
It would have cost me too much to interface the sensors into the system

That's reason #2 I went with the arduino. The number of 5v devices available is staggering and the cost is a fraction of typical industrial hardare. Plus, many of the popular ones already have Arduino libraries ready to go that makes interfacing with them as easy as #include.

Yep, sounds pretty similar. Fun!

Looks like a good pick on the relay.

Regarding the LCD + navigation: You might consider making it totally web based instead.
I like my little VFD text display, which gives a few quick stats.
But for anything real, I always seem to use the computer. (Or iPad)
In fact, if doing it again, I might even skip the RTC (use internet NTP instead)

For the sump height, I used an etape strip. etape
But I would not really recommend it. It is not very accurate, and does not work on the lower range.
For me, it is really just for backup to the float sensor, plus for keeping stats.

Be warned that the network card is not so compatible with the Mega. Make sure not
to use those I/O pins it shares. I had to do some re-soldering because of that.

For the Dallas 1-wire : I would suggest separate I/O for each device, even though not technically needed.
High error rate when shared, probably due to loading, noise, and reflections.

My new stand arrived! Thanks to Robert/Lateralus and Undertow Aquatics. Very good quality build and finish.

Check out that cyano in my current tank. Yuck.

Currently plumbing up a herbie overflow using the two available holes. For now I'm running the return over the edge with some cheap vinyl hose. Once I get the drain plumbing finalized I'm going to take it all apart again and drill a hole in the back wall and plumb it up properly. I don't want to run anything over the edge if I can help it.

Back