Reef nutrition

possible aefw or something else ?

Recently Ive noticed some of my acros suddenly start to die. Always seems to start at the tips and works its way down. I actually thought it was my swing in salinity but its been 3 weeks since thats been corrected. Ive been looking at threads about these pest. I haven't seen anything on the acros but I know they are tuff to see. Water parameters are fine now or could this possibly still be corals recovering slow from the salinity swing ? Salinity jumped to 1.28 at the time

Try an iodine dip and shake/baste the frag. They will fall off and squirm. Very, very hard to see aefw while they're on an acro. Bite marks will be very obvious; they'll start off looking like white circles.

Alk burns and salinity swings takes awhile to manifest itself. Lots of time, you won't even see the effects of it until 2 weeks in. If you don't see any signs of aefw bite marks and nothing is coming off in the dips, then don't worry too much. Just make sure that you stabilize the tank and wait it out.

ruling out aefw as some of my acro's very dying very quickly while others are showing no ill effects at all. Alk is at 9 Mike. Did a 10 percent water change last night

Please put a container of your water aside ASAP for ICP testing, it won’t help the problem but at least if it’s something detectable in ICP you’ll know what the problem was so you can prevent it next time... or you can rule out water chemistry...

Check your equipment for any salt spray on metal pieces that might have corroded and flaked into the tank; a friend from SoCal discovered some metal was flaking off and that took a toll on his corals.

Back