Jestersix

Post pictures of your Corals EATING!

Any of you guys spot feed your corals? Post a picture :) This is really useful for people interested in learning which corals accept which foods.

Feeding Reef Roids
IMG_1030.jpg

YR Peachy Blue Zoas eating Reef Roids

IMG_1031.jpg

Pink Yuma Babies Eating Reef Roids

IMG_1033.jpg

Green Bounce Eating Reef Roids

IMG_1034.jpg

Snowflake Rhodactis Mushroom Eating Reef Roids (see the stringy powdery stuff?)

IMG_1037.jpg

Orange Rainbow Zoas eating Reef Roids

Me Feeding Coral Frenzy Pellets 0.5mm
IMG_1067.jpg

Green Bounce Rhodactis Mushroom eating Coral Frenzy Pellets

IMG_1068.jpg

Jawbreaker Discosoma Mushroom eating Coral Frenzy Pellets (kind of, its a slow eater)

tumblr_m6vzk7TRic1rawb5do1_500.png

IMG_1084.jpg

Jawbreaker discosoma eating coral frenzy pellets for real!

IMG_1089.jpg

wwc bounce eating reef roids

IMG_1091.jpg

Jack-o-lantern leptoseris eating coral reef frenzy pellets.

IMG_1094.jpg

Tyree orange rainbow eating coral frenzy pellets

IMG_1098.jpg

Snowflake rhodactis mushroom reaching for coral frenzy pellet.

bestone.jpg

Ricordea florida mouth reaching for coral frenzy pellet.

Nice pics. What do you use to target feed? I've used a disposable transfer pipette in the past but a bit of a pain to use..

Depends on the food.

Reef roids is a powder. I mix it with a little saltwater before sucking it up with a large syringe (10mL or bigger) then i spotfeed by slowly squirting the paste food onto the corals.

For coral frenzy pellets I use a syringe or small turkey baster.

Gotta turn off the flow.

Feeding Reef Roids

IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1269.jpg

WWC Bounce eating Reef Roids (Notice the mouth slurping it in)

IMG_1250.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg

Unnamed Mushroom Eating Reef Roids.
-The blue dots on this guy is super cool. It's like the blue on a maxima clam. Super bright blue from top but drab blue from the side.

IMG_1258.jpg
IMG_1265.jpg

LC Uranium Bounce eating Reef Roids.

-I have a video of this guy eating. Its pretty cool. There's like an invisible sack that encases the food and drags it into the mouth, pretty fast too.
-He can eat whole mysis no problem.

Very cool photos! I LOVE target feeding everything in my tank. Inverts always are so hungry and all eat from a baster. Now I can't wait to feed corals. Those are all awesome photos of even little frags eating! Great thread. Reef club kids will check it out tomorrow if school internet filter allows. They will certainly enjoy Boobies and Roids in the same caption.

Very nice pictures, were these all done with extension tubes @Enderturtle ? Also quick question, can you feed your corals too much or too often? Can your coral die from eating too much? Is this different for different types of corals?

Ive heard from other hobbyists that you can feed too much.

I dont really know the answer but I feed my corals about 2-3 times a week.

Ive also heard from people that uneaten food can damage a coral if you let it sit on the coral too long

I tried target feeding with reef roids and it didn't seem to work. I would mix the powder with some of the tank water to make a paste. Then I tried to suck it up with a pipette, and a 5ml syringe but they would only suck up the liquid out of the paste. I ended up just dumping it in the water over the coral. Any tips?

I tried target feeding with reef roids and it didn't seem to work. I would mix the powder with some of the tank water to make a paste. Then I tried to suck it up with a pipette, and a 5ml syringe but they would only suck up the liquid out of the paste. I ended up just dumping it in the water over the coral. Any tips?
I'd just add more water. I usually add a small amount of food and dilute in lots of water. I gently blow over the corals with a Kent Marine Sea Squirt (basically a loooong baster)...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'd just add more water. I usually add a small amount of food and dilute in lots of water. I gently blow over the corals with a Kent Marine Sea Squirt (basically a loooong baster)...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ok, it looked to me like the drops were more concentrated in the pictures.

Ok, it looked to me like the drops were more concentrated in the pictures.

For reef roids, i mix it with a small amount of water maybe 15 ml? Then I use the 5mL syringe you get from a test kit to suck up the concentrated paste at the bottom of the cup.

The paste is what I feed the corals with. The remaining liquid I dont really use at all.

For reef roids, i mix it with a small amount of water maybe 15 ml? Then I use the 5mL syringe you get from a test kit to suck up the concentrated paste at the bottom of the cup.

The paste is what I feed the corals with. The remaining liquid I dont really use at all.
I'll give it a shot.

Back