Reef nutrition

Post your hitchhiker pics here!

Our next meeting April 10th featuring Leslie Harris can answer some nagging questions for you, like WTH is this?

She will be identifying and discussing hitchhikers in reef aquariums and a great place to start is within the club, so post your WTH is this pictures in this thread and she'll identify them and give you some background, that is of course if the picture is clear enough ;)

Let's try and keep this as free of discussion as possible and focus on pics to help make her job easier.

Great timing, I just siphoned out a spaghetti worm yesterday and took a couple pictures of it :-D I'll edit this post tonight when I can upload the pic. of course, it is more of a background critter and not so much ID.

Take the best pics you can & post them along with the closest image match you can find on the web. That way I can see what you have as well as what you think it is. ;) If they're not the same I'll talk about how to distinguish them. Hmmm.... maybe I should point out some of the worst LFS ids, that would be fun!

Interested in knowing what the heck this beast is. :D

fireworm1%20012710.jpg

fireworm2%20012710.jpg

fireworm3%20012710.jpg

My best guess at the time was a fireworm of some sort (perhaps a bearded), as per this link.
http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=292

The pictures taken above was probably 60% of the front end of the worm. The backend slinked back down below the black PVC on the bottom. I've spotted the worm again this past week, although much smaller and it looks like it has regenerated the front end. Also, I noticed that the white bristles were emitting phosphorescent green light in the tank that I've never seen before.

Another hitchhiker and the bane of Montipora sp. Would be interested in knowing more about them, such as life cycle and a hobbyist can eradicate both the adults and eggs.

nudi_050208a.jpg

Ibn said:
Another hitchhiker and the bane of Montipora sp. Would be interested in knowing more about them, such as life cycle and a hobbyist can eradicate both the adults and eggs.

nudi_050208a.jpg

=/ I just saw one of those guys on the glass the other day and thought it was cool. Now my monti is in danger!

Woops, sorry no comments. I just meant to say I'm also interested

Now Jon, this is a serious thread, lets try to stay on topic please. I do know how hard it is, I'm as much of a thread derailer as anybody, but we need to have courtesy for Leslie.

tuberider said:
Now Jon, this is a serious thread, lets try to stay on topic please. I do know how hard it is, I'm as much of a thread derailer as anybody, but we need to have courtesy for Leslie.

Man oh man oh man, I can't tell you how many smart ass replies immediately came to mind after reading that. You have obviously confused me with someone else entirely!

Best guess I've been able to come up with is elysia ornata, a sap sucking sea slug. That seems consistent with the fact that it came in on a rock with macro algae. ( http://www.seaslugforum.net/elysorna.htm )

LeslieH said:
tuberider said:

Man oh man oh man, I can't tell you how many smart ass replies immediately came to mind after reading that. You have obviously confused me with someone else entirely!

You have no idea how far off topic stuff gets around here :D

tuberider said:
LeslieH said:
tuberider said:

You have no idea how far off topic stuff gets around here :D
case in point
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9696

Back