Jestersix

Post your swap questions here!

Thales

Past President
Bay Area Reefers Northern California Regional Frag Swap - Propagate, share, diversify!

The BAR regional frag swap is intended to promote the propagation, sharing and ‘backing up’ of corals within the reefing community. In this event, BAR values a spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all its participants.
This swap is open to everyone. Meet and hang out with your fellow hobbyists. Share and enjoy the diversity of corals grown by your fellow reefers.

How to participate in the swap in an easy to read format:
• Entry Fee: $10 prepay (before July 29), $15 late pay (after July 29), and $20 the day of the swap. Entry fee includes at least lunch and coral dip, and the prepayment gives us a head count for the food provider.
• Extra food can be purchased directly from the food provider for guests and very hungry participants.
• Coral: 3 or more strains
• If you have no coral to donate to the swap there is an additional $20 participation fee
• All fees payable by paypal to paypal@bareefers.org.
For an updated list of people who are registered for the swap, please click here and scroll to the bottom of the page

For questions about the swap, please post to this thread or here

Day of swap, August 9th, 2008:
• The swap is held at ASAP in Hayward, CA
• Registration from 11am to 12:30 pm
• Swap proper begins at 1 pm
• There will be no rare picking group
• Raffle follows the swap - grand prizes include a 4 foot Tru Vu sump and an Big RODI unit!

How to participate explained in greater detail:
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?page=18

See you at the swap!

What do people use to contain their frags/critters? Would Ziplocks be ok, or do you prefer a specific kind of packaging?

NO ZIPLOCKS

Use of "deli containers" are highly recommended, you can buy more expensive "Glad" brand ones in the store for food storage, however a trip to smart & final for something like this

DM16.jpg

Works great and is fairly cheap, you just need to buy in bulk (25) lids are separate :D
BAR does sell the containers too, so if you're thinking of swinging by the BOD meeting this Saturday it'd be a good time to pick them up if you don't need that many.

:p
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?page=18
2) In a plastic container or double bagged
We suggest deli containers, Glad MiniRounds (or larger size if needed), Rubbermaid Take Alongs, or any other appropriately sized reusable container. If you put a bit of plastic bag in the bottom of such container, the frags seem to do less rolling around than in plastic bags. NO ZIPLOC BAGS!

We like these containers
because the lids stay on very well, but there are also deli containers available from Smart and Final, and BAR should have some for sale the day of the swap (come early if you need them!)

I personally use the ones BAR has for sale. They have worked pretty well for me so far and have been able to reuse without any issues.

this is one area where BAR is different then most clubs, well not MR :) Most clubs you'll find mainly fish bags and ziplocks. Ours you find the bulk are in the deli containers.

What "type" of food vendor was chosen?

Edit: Never mind :D

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=3930.msg46484#msg46484 date=1213897174]
Choice sandwich of Hamburger,hot dog,sausage or veggie burger with sides chips,potato salad and drink
[/quote]

Prepaid list is located here

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=4068.new;topicseen#new

If your name isn't on here within a couple of days of payment...... we have not gotten your payment.

[quote author=reefdan link=topic=4039.msg49475#msg49475 date=1216594481]
what is considered a different "strain" or coral? can i just bring 3 diff morphs of zoanthids?
[/quote]Three different morph of zoas is fine, think of it this way, I could bring a green milli, blue milli, and a yellow milli. As long as it's not all the same variety your good.

If I just come and help out with the swap, do I need to pay? Of course I won't eat either... I might buy raffle tickets though.

I saw Jemery posted something on MARS about coming after 12:30PM will be put in the last group automatically. How come I can't find that info here?

A few questions before I commit:

Are macroalgae/plants on the swap menu?
It would be nice to swap coral for plants.

I went to the BAR swap a couple of years ago but don't remember how long it took.
If I go, I'll be on public transpo and don't want to miss my bus.
Is there an expected time when the festivities conclude?
or is there anyone willing to car pool from san francisco?
I'll pay for gas and not be a pesty hitchhiker. :)

I could be wrong but it must be coral to count. Of course, you would be more than welcome to bring macros beyond the 3 required coral specials. Lots of people will bring far more than the min.

The festivities will last as long as there are corals to pick:)
I wouldn't be surprised if things lasted 3hrs. I forget how long the last swap lasted.

>what kinda plants did you have in mind?

caulerpa!
just kidding ;D

Gracilaria, ulva, halimeda and usual legal suspects.

There's a pretty seahorse tank at Ocean Treasures that shows plants to great effect.
Many LFS in SF are carrying red mangrove and planted tanks a la ADA are gaining popularity.
It would be great to propagate and diversify reef plants.
When I started an old nano, the rock grew sargassum, scroll algae and i think a red type of Dictyota.
Stupidly I ripped them all out without researching first. In hindsight, it would have interesting to see what others have grown.
Now I just have chaeto and valonia :-

Back