Potluck food items

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by tuberider, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Supporting Member

That was awesome Focaccia. I don't think I'll need to check my trace element levels for the next month. That's some mighty fine NaCL :)

Susan and I would also would love a receipt for:

JAR's Crab Cakes and JAR's Crunchy Cookies we had on the tank tour

Ian's Mochi

Earthboy's Pulled Pork

Mr. Ugly's BBQ Pork.

Everything else was awesome too.

Thanks to all for making the event such a success.

R.K.

2. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliment!
    These are closely held family secrets.
    I'll have to get permission at the next reunion. :)

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

That one was quickie grilled pork with some commercial prepared ingredients. Yes, I was being lazy :D

The Secret Formula
    ------------------------

- Wash and dry a bunch of country style ribs or a bunch of cut up pork shoulder
    - Coat with a ton of chili powder (not powdered chiles)
    - Fire up your Weber kettle( s ) for indirect grilling
    - Add your favorite type of wood chip (I used hickory this time)
    - Grill the pork for 30 minutes in the rain
    - Remove the pork and dip the pieces in your preferred sauce. I used 1/2 Chris & Pitts w/ 1/2 Trader Joe's because that was what was in the fridge.
    - Return the pork to the grill and cook covered for another 10-15 minutes or until the pork fat looks all tasty covered with caramelized bbq sauce
    - Eat a bunch of grilled pork fat to make sure it tastes ok (Don't let your wife see you do this)
    - Wrap up the pork and stick it in a dirty wet styrofoam frag cooler while you go do random stuff :D
    - Slice and serve

4. Reef Keeper

5. Reef Keeper

So that's what I've been doing wrong ( not BBQ'ng it in the pouring down rain) :bigsmile:

Thank you
    for going trough the exercise of putting the receipt into writing and braving the elements for the sake of good BBQ. Very much appreciated.

6. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

Hello everyone

It was fantastic to see all the differant types of food , quite a spread and also a great topic delivered by a superb speaker/member/founder ;)

btw

steve can you post your sweet potato chipotle recipe

7. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

+1 and +1
    That sweeeeeet potato chipotle was killer!

8. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

Here's the recipe. The leftovers were much better tonight. A lot more spice. We decided we like it better when you cover the dish for most of the baking time. The dried scalloped ones on top aren't appealling to us. That should keep it moister.
    SWEET POTATO-CHIPOLTE GRATIN

Prep and cook time: About 1½ hours

Makes: 8-10 servings

½ cup milk
    2 canned chipotle chilies (about 1 tablespoon, including sauce)
    About ½ teaspoon salt,
    1½ - 2 cups whipping cream (see notes below)
    3½ pounds Garnet, Jewel, or other sweet potatoes (see notes below)

1. In a blender, whirl milk, chilies, and ½ teaspoon salt until smooth. Stir in cream. Reserve 1/3 cup of the cream mixture.
    2. Peel and rinse sweet potatoes; cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices. In a shallow 2½ - 3 quart casserole arrange about a third of the sweet potatoes in an even layer, overlapping slices; evenly drizzle with about a third of the remaining cream mixture. Repeat to make two more layers of the sweet potatoes and cream.
    3. Bake (covered, if using drier, pale-fleshed sweet potatoes; see notes below) in a 400° regular or convection oven for 40 minutes. Uncover, if covered, and drizzle top evenly with about 3 tablespoons of the reserved cream mixture. Continue baking, basting occasionally with reserved cream mixture or pan juices, until potatoes are tender when pierced and top of gratin is browned, 15-25 minutes longer. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.

NOTES: Garnet and Jewel sweet potatoes have moist, dark orange flesh; they are often labeled as yams in grocery stores. If you use the drier yellow- or white-fleshed sweet potatoes, increase the cream used in step 1 to 2 cups and cover dish tightly before baking in step 3; uncover after 40 minutes of baking. You may assemble the gratin through step 2 up to ½ hour before baking.

9. Lyn

Lyn Guest

Thanks for the recipe Steve. I wanted to eat more of your sweet potaoes, but I was too full.

I'm also quite excited that you know that what we refer to as "yams" here in the states is really a misnomer and that they are sweet potatoes. True yams are the root from a viney shrub and are white in color, starchy, not very sweet, and can grow to over 4 lbs. in size! I saw them, and probably ate them in the Carribean. If you've ever eaten a bag of Terra Chips, you've eaten true yams, known at batata. :)

10. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

What no one asking for my recipe of the greasy finger foods (tacos, egg rolls, etc) that I brought??

I'm so hurt, although it didn't stop people from eating them ;)

11. Reef Keeper

FWIW, I really did enjoy those mini tacos, and while I'm not a huge egg roll fan, I really enjoyed the ones at the our party. Thanks. If you have a receipt for them feel free to put them up, and I'll add them to our receipts. :)

12. sfsuphysics

Nah I was just joking about the recipe, I went cheap and easy. CostCo Don Jose (I think) party pack, plus currently it's $3 off !

13. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

You'll have to marry someone for the recipe for those egg rolls. Those came from King Egg Rolls. :p

14. sfsuphysics

Yeah I thought those tasted like the King ones :D