Cali Kid Corals

powder blue and red Favia

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=3328.msg57353#msg57353 date=1222983539]
I would like to try this if it is still available. [/quote]

Sure thing Lyn, did you check out the requirements? Just want to make sure you caught them. The main stuff is , are you good with LPS's (sorry, don't think I've seen your tank thread, if you have one) and plan on starting a DBTC of your own of an acan or similar.

Hi Levi,

Don't apologize for asking what my conditions are. If I placed a puppy in your home, you can be sure I would ask you all sorts of questions (I used to do dog rescue). :)

I have a Blastomussa merletti (from Norm) that I got from the swap, which has refleshed all its' cut sides. It was 2 whole polyps with a bunch of cut ones. Now it has 8-9 whole polyps. I also picked up the sadest candy cane coral. It is not so sad anymore. One of the polyps has split into two, and the polyps are larger/fuller. There is flesh on the stalk where before there was none. I try to spot feed mysis mixed with Selcon and Coral Frenzy to each polyp. I have another small frog spawn looking fuller than when I got it, and Tubipora (from Bluenassarius) growing. In fact, it had a tiny broken piece which I attached to a rock, and is also fleshed and growing. It initially had 3 little polyps, now it has 5-6.

I have two tanks which your Favia might do well in. First is a 28 gal. med light about 4.5 watts/gal PC. 128 watts total 1/2 10,000K and 1/2 actinic. It has been going for 16 months. The other is my 12 gal nano. 70 watt MH going for about 8-10 months. This tank also has an acropora frag which is growing. I can see the new polyps developing and the stalk is fatter. Polyps are also spreading onto the surface of the plug. A crocea clam is also in this tank; still alive and very responsive.

I will be honest with you in that I am new to LPSs. So far, so good, at least for the last 2 months. Gotta start somewhere, right? But if you do not feel comfortable with my conditions or ability, no problem. I will understand. I HATE killing things. The Acropora Cali Tort I won from a drawing. I almost did not accept at first, but thought I'd give it a try for a bit. If it showed signs of decline, I was going to give it away. It surprised me by growing, and it still amazes me everyday. :) I do change some of the water twice a week (I found that the blue Xenia doesn't like large water changes),and I supplement a little bit.

I do not have any Acans, but would the Blasto do for the DBTC once it is large enough?

Hi Levi,

I just did a little checking on the web. It says that Favia can be very agressive and need a large (50+ gal.) tank. If this is the case with your coral, than my tanks will not meet its needs.

This guy does send out large sweepers so if you don't have the space to give it a few inches of room around it then maybe I'll hold onto if for someone with a bigger tank.

Jeremy, what do you think?

I have a different experience. I have never had this guy send out sweepers (while lights are on and before work). I have a micro and birdsnest about 1.5-2" away and no stings ever (so far)

[quote author=LeviT link=topic=3328.msg57423#msg57423 date=1223039105]
This guy does send out large sweepers so if you don't have the space to give it a few inches of room around it then maybe I'll hold onto if for someone with a bigger tank.

Jeremy, what do you think?
[/quote]It will be fine, I never had it send out sweepers either, to my knowledge Mikey's hasn't either.

Good job on that Levi, the frags look real healthy!

hey Levi!! If Lyn Doesnt take it i would love to grab it! I have had great luck with my acons and favias and corals of the sort! have a 24gl nanocube with a 150wt hilide upgrade, sapphire protien skimmer, small refugium in the back, 2 koralia nano pumps and the 1200 return pump. I feed with Marc Weiss reef bugs and use the rest of his additive products(pretty much the whole line, almost). have a pare of ora percs and a red spot watchman, thats the only fish I have the rest of the tank is all sps and some lps. Been fragging successfully and there will seen be a few diff. sps in the program, probably in a week! Please let me know i would love this guy, the colors are amazing and they will for sure color up and grow fast in my tank, just like my watermelon favia, which will also be in the program next week! thanks a lot! happy Reefing!

Hi Levi,

Thanks to tuberider's and Gomer's (Gomer, thanks for the surface street directions to ASAP. You were right about it being faster and a much more pleasant drive. :) ) extra info., I would still like to try it. :) Which of my tanks would you recommend I put it in? (I also have a 46 gal. low light but I assume not here.) In the med light PC tank or MH tank? What are they under now?

I will be at the next meeting if this works for you. If not, you can PM me and we can set something up.

Thanks again :D

Lyn, I'll PM you about the pick up. About the tank, I have mine under 4 t5's and Tony has his under MH's so I think you'd be fine with either tank. What city do you live in?

Mine are under MH, but way off to the shaded side. Levi's are likely getting way more light than mine (and hence growing slower, albeit apparently very healthy)

Since there always a lot of questions about sweepers/feeder (I think these are feeders) here you go.

faviabluered4.jpg

Back