got ethical husbandry?

powder blue tangs

has any one had luck or have tried to keep a lil school of powder blue tangs??and how many do u think i would need so they dont fight?thxs

Don't have any personal experience with "powdered" tangs, even though the astronauts do drink it. But I would think a safe bet is zero would make sure there are no fights :)

And yeah, I would think you'd need a substantial tank to house one much less a "school".

I do not think Powder Blues actually school together. They are very territorial and the meanest of Tangs.
You can school Yellows, Purples, and even Naso and generally to have them you need more than 2. 3-4 is minimum
Blue Tangs and Powder Blues are not kept in schools.

I have kept up to 5 Tangs in my 150G. Even large ones... Naso, Blue, Powder Blue, Sailfin, Purple. The Purple and Yellow always fight, but The powder Blue dominates!

i have a 240gl,and all i have in there are 2 , moorish idol that are about 8 or 9 inches...i want to have a bunch of fish that yellow in them but yet look so different... so i want like 3 more moorish idol...any ideas on wht to get would be a help thxs..

If you want Yellow, (and you do not keep Zoas) And have money....

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+871+236&pcatid=236

If you do not have the money:

The best one is either a school of yellow tangs (cheaper solution) You can keep 4 or more... (pick smaller size) 2-3"

Or you can go with Yellow Jacks... Lots of them... They are a nice schooling fish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+46+682&pcatid=682

They are quick though and eat the food fast... With a Morish Idol which needs time to be fed is harder to get him fed once you have fast eating fish.

Yellow Jacks?
Is there some sort of dwarf version, or do they stay small in the tank?
Because I thought those got to about 3 feet and are really open-ocean fish.

Rygh,

Thinking of an amberjack or a jack cravalle (sp). Never heard of a yellow jack either but may also be just a common name for a fish that may resemble the larger versions.

They are smaller... They are Golden jacks "technically" They vary between 1-4". But sold mostly around 2".

In liveaquaria, they are called Pilotfish.

Again... They are fast and hungry eaters! They swim on the top. i would retract the recommendation since even Liveaquaria recommends to ONLY EXPERTS. which usually means they are a headache to keep. (They can eat smaller fish)

Back