got ethical husbandry?

Powder Brown Tangs

I'm really set on a Powder Brown Tang, but I've read more failure rates over the web rather than success. It seems a QT is a must. But has anyone got any on BAR or has had success in the past? Any tips, or should I avoid?

Just FYI about my livestock:

120g 4x2x2
(listed in order by introduction date to tank)
4 chromies
1 midas blenny
1 purple firefish
2 saddleback clowns
1 helfrichi firefish
1 yellow clown goby
1 radiant wrasse

planning on adding:
Powder Brown Tang
then Yellow Tang (this will be the last fish)

u should be fine as long as u add it first before any other tang.but when i had one he was very mean..u should try atlantic blue tang,kinda cheap very peace ful and great color..but should add first if u add any other tangs.

I asked a couple of veteran reef keepers in San Diego about powder brown tangs.

Here is the response from the 300-gallon tank's keeper:
I have one that is a beautiful fish. He is the boss of my six tangs, for sure. He does swim quite a lot, but seems very happy. I have rarely seen any ich on him and he is generally very healthy. I don't believe they are all that much more difficult to keep than any other tang. Lots of veggies and plenty of swimming room.

Here's the one from the 115-gallon tank's keeper:
i haven't had luck with these guys. just make sure you get one that is aggressively eating, the 2 i have attempted just wouldn't start eating and died.

Big difference between the 2 species called "Powder Brown Tang". A. nigricans is super touchy and should be avoided. A. japonicus is certainly not the easiest of fish, but is generally much hardier and easier to take care of.

This is A. japonicus (better choice), the nicer looking fish IMO.
Acanthurus_japonicus2.jpg

This is A. nigricans (best to avoid).
Picture_359.jpg

Note that A. nigricans has a much smaller white area under the eye. This is the easiest way to spot the difference between the two right away.

I say add the two tangs at the same time. This will help even the playing field for dominance between the two. Be sure to offer plenty of food. A well fed fish is less angry!

I have a nigricans in my 300 that I've had for several weeks. Feeds very well on all offered foods (pellets and frozen). You can come check it out if you're in the area.

The question really is, will the Yellow not fight with the Powder Brown ;)

Back