Neptune Aquatics

power backups

Apon

Supporting Member
I already have a battery back up for the vortec, but do you huys think these are any good at costco? they have a few different models...even a little solar one. Here is the link to the bigger one. Let me know what you guys think.

If the link doesn't work try thi sitem number

Xantrexâ„¢ XPowerâ„¢ PowerSource 400
Supplies up to Eight Hours of Uninterrupted Backup Power

$129.99
Item # 166432
Shipping & Handling included

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11241011&search=emergency%20kits&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Mo=35&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BC&ViewAll=36&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=emergency%20kits&Ntt=emergency%20kits&No=10&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I guess I'd have to measure up my watts used and see how long it'll get me through an outage. It seems like a good price though.

It depends on what you will be running when the power goes out.

Computer UPS are not all created equal - talk to Andyman about this, hence the use of small generators and/or deep cycle marine batteries/or optima batteries along with an inverter.

I have the APC 350 and it wont run A/C voltage powerheads. I beleive the reason is because it is trying to convert a DC sine wave into an AC sine wave but it is too choppy. Every powerhead i've tried, clatters like it's running backwards. Has anyone had this same problem? Do some of you have battery backups and havent tested them???

IF they are a modified sign wave, no, do not use them unless it's for a device with a transformer prior to the device. Modified sign waves and AC only devices such as pumps, heaters and ballasts do not go together. Kinda like water and AV :) The chopped (modified) sign wave does several bad things to them.

PM BeanAnimal (Bill) on RC. He'll give you the run down, or, you could google modifed sign wave + UPS

I tried to those car battery inverters.. figured Prius = Generator on wheels.. good too since the engine won't run continuously. But man I blew out 3 of those, another worked but when I got all excited to hook up the Kill-a-watt meter to see how much power I was drawing exactly I blew it out as well. Luckily Target as a pretty much open return policy so I was not out any money.

And like Gresham says, those things are really only made for DC type devices that use a transformers to convert the AC (your wall normally) into DC, so like Laptops, Computers, Cell phones,etc. However a Vortech or a Tunze run off DC, so those might be ok.

We were about ready to buy a UPS. What is the best way to help us through a power outage? Just a battery back up air pump?

Battery back up for cheap and easy and for short term outages. If you have a magnificent setup, a generator isn't a bad investment, especially if you're using a chiller (needed) or it's really cold (heaters).

Back