Jestersix

PraziPro Reef Safe?

I suspect one of my new picassos has an internal parasite. He isn't very active, he won't eat and his poop is white and stringy (either that or there was a worm hanging out of his butt). His stomach was bulging yesterday and still is around the chest (but not as much) and he hadn't eaten in over a day. I did some research and asked some questions on other forums and I bought some PraziPro. I read where many people have used it in their DT with no problems. I don't have any feather dusters or coco worms so that isn't an issue. The tank I want to treat is SPS dominated with a clam, two colonies of hornets, some LPS and a ricordea yuma. I'm trying to get some experiences from people who have dosed PraziPro to their DT... So has anyone dosed PraziPro to their DT and what were your results?

I have a 5 gallon glass tank with a hood that I could set up as a QT, but I am hesitant about moving the fish to QT since it will stress the fish and weaken the fish's immune system which will potentially make the problem get worse.

I bought a tiny bit of live brine from an LFS and I'm going to see if I can get the fish to eat it. I also put two layers of screen over the tank to dim the halide which was bothering the fish.

EDIT: He won't even eat the live brine... :(

The bloated stomach has dissipated to where you can't tell that it is bloated. I haven't seen him poop in a while so I'm not sure how that is. The only symptoms I see now are no appetite and lack of activity, but he isn't struggling or breathing heavily. So I'm not sure what is wrong.

From the research I have done, it's always best to do medications in QT, but in all of the cases I've read, the PraziPro didn't have any adverse effects on anything in the tank, in some cases even feather dusters were unharmed. The only things I read about were mushrooms and xenia being bothered for just a day... However, I don't want to do any unnecessary medications so I'm thinking about giving the fish a day or two to see if he'll eat. If I did that, I would worry about him dying since I didn't medicate him. So I'm not sure what I should do.

I have not specifically dosed Prazi Pro to my tank but I have added food soaked in prazi-pro directly to my DT with no adverse results.

seminolecpa said:
I have not specifically dosed Prazi Pro to my tank but I have added food soaked in prazi-pro directly to my DT with no adverse results.

I would try that if my guy would eat. Is there anything I can do to get him to eat? He won't even go for live brine with garlic.

I have the QT set up with distilled and I'm getting the heater adjusted. I'll see how the fish is doing tomorrow and if he isn't doing any better (which he hopefully will be doing better) I'll put him in the QT with his tank water.

I added Prazi pro to the DT. Had some internal parasites in my fish. Had no issues with LPS, inverts, or my RBTAs from what I remember. I know it kills all feather dusters and worms. Skimmer will go crazy though. Make sure to turn that off. Also do WCs like recommended.

That's my experience though, not sure how SPS would do

My fish is beginning to gain his appetite back I think. I fed him some rod's original with lots of garlic and he ate a very tiny bit of it and nibbled on a few bigger pieces before spitting them out, but that's good progress. He's also becoming more active. Maybe he's fighting whatever he has off. I'll see what happens as he recovers. I have the QT set up just in case, but hopefully he'll make progress and I won't need to use it. I have this strange urge to turn this little 5g QT into a cheap nano... :D

What was the salinity in the bag when you got this new fish vs. your tank? Did you check that? Curious.
You haven't mentioned anything about heavy breathing so that's good. WC or CB? Just trying to figure out what this fish has been through in last little bit. Does it even know how to eat prepared foods (if WC?)

Sorry to hear about your fish. Here's a great article on how to quarantine fish by fish expert Lee Birch on RS. I wouldn't trust fish from any source even if it's ORA w/o quarantine.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23584-fish-quarantine-process-step-step.html

seminolecpa said:
Hm, this is interesting; did you have any success using this food soaking method for whatever it is you were trying to cure? Thanks!

A_Lee said:
seminolecpa said:
Hm, this is interesting; did you have any success using this food soaking method for whatever it is you were trying to cure? Thanks!

I do it in general in addition to other acclimation processes when I add a new fish. Usually run it for a couple of weeks. It has significantly increased my survival rate of new fish (especially tangs). Can't 100% say that this is due to my addition of the prazi-pro soaked food, but that is one of the only variables that have changed in my acclimation process.

You should always check the bag (or find out beforehand). You got to watch out for raising the salinity too fast if it's more than a few points. Your drip acclimation may have been done with care but you could have messed that fish up all on your own.
Step up to the plate young lad and q your fish. This would have been so simple to match the q salinity to the bag and rule this out. Then you slowly raise salinity over a few days.

Back to your ORA comment did you get these fish straight from ORA in closed bags or from another source?

Food lace in praziquantel is the old-school way and thus the pres has dated himself!

houser said:
You should always check the bag (or find out beforehand). You got to watch out for raising the salinity too fast if it's more than a few points. Your drip acclimation may have been done with care but you could have messed that fish up all on your own.
Step up to the plate young lad and q your fish. This would have been so simple to match the q salinity to the bag and rule this out. Then you slowly raise salinity over a few days.

Back to your ORA comment did you get these fish straight from ORA in closed bags or from another source?

Food lace in praziquantel is the old-school way and thus the pres has dated himself!

Wasn't aware of the salinity thing. His friend came from the same tank and they were acclimated together, but it's only the one fish with the problem.

I've never quarantined my fish, corals or invertebrates. It's only now that I have the tank/equipment to set up a Q. I may leave this tank up for the future when I get a fish.

I got both of these fish through Green Marine, not directly from ORA.

Thales said:
houser said:
Euphyllia said:
I got both of these fish through Green Marine, not directly from ORA.

Were they in bags straight from ORA or in GM's tanks first?

And for how long?

all of which is very important because of your very strong accusation which very well may be unfounded:
Sad to say, but it's an ORA Picasso. I wish they would care for their creatures better and ship them with care. ORA's quality has really declined. I thought they had a good reputation.

I left the first one at GM until the second came in two months later. One of the first two died in shipping so I had to wait for GM to place another order with ORA. I left the second one there for two weeks and picked both up at the same time so that one wouldn't establish a territory and harass the other when it was added to the tank. They were in the bag for the overnight shipping from ORA which was usual. They were in another bag when I picked them up from GM for about 30 minutes until I put them in a bucket for drip acclimation.

Can light shock cause his appetite loss and lack of activity? These guys were in a dimly lit system when I picked them up. It was probably an old T5 or PC bulb, nowhere near as bright as my halide. I'm thinking it may have stressed them when I moved them with acclimating them to the light. It was stupid of me but I forgot to do it this one time. I have the light dimmed down now.

Back