High Tide Aquatics

Prop System at Steinhart

Hey everyone, I thought I would post some pics of the propagation system that is now almost up and running, since the BAR tour last month. The lights are 1000 watts, and each system contains 5, 200-gallon agricultural bins, a dedicated skimmer (Quad ETSS) and chiller. I think one CA reactor feeds every 2 or 3 systems. We have about 8-10 of the systems (about 50 bins) running so far.

Hahaha... Mike, we're supposed to give Steinhart *our* frags, not the other way around! :)

Then when you take friends to Steinhart, you can say, "See that blasto that the giant puffer is chowing down on? That's *my* blasto!" :)

I hate to see the electrical bill for that :D ..

Peter,
How often do you guy change the water on your giant tank? and how much??

So, are you going to acclimate them down to the lower lighting they'll receive in the main tank, or are you going to blast it with billions of watts?

I'll try to answer all the questions:

There will be between 100-120, 2000- watt MH lights on the main tank at the Steinhart, augmented with natural light. We have a scale model they have been working from, complete with scale representations of PAR values using fiber optics, so they know what light intensities will be where, and where corals will be positioned. The tank currently running at Howard Street is the same depth as the new tank will be, so they have been and will continue to be doing research on light intensity and coral placement. That tank is now using the same 2000 watters that will be on the new tank.

So, a quick calculation of kilowatt hours for 120, 2000 watt MH lights on for 10 hours at $0.12/kwh gives you $288 a day to light the tank!

Not sure how much water we will change or how often, sorry.

I did JUST get my 70 gallon last week, but have to finish other renovations before I can start setting it up- lots of cabinets to build. I think by June it should be up and running!

Where did you pull the KPH rate from?

Just curious. Do you know what level your on, ie. we're on "AG5" pricing where I work, which is about the best rate you'll ever see from PG&E, at least for a business :D

Just off my home utility bill, they use some staggered system, first baseline costs are $0.11 per kilowatt-hour then it goes up for $0.13 after a certain amount- just my guestimate... I have no idea what rate the Steinhart will actually be charged, possibly less.

Well, they don't offer a AQUACULTURE rating Mike, otherwise we'd have it ;) We use 80K-90K at pretty much any given time to run our 1.5 million gallons of salt water. FWIW< we only have a few lights, mother nature grows most our stuff :D

We just finished plumbing in another 100K gallon holding tank :lol:

I can't even tell you what city the farm is in, let alone bring a bunch of people thru :D We have propritary technology that we simply can not let out.

Let's keep this thread on topic, and not discuss things that won't happen :D IIR the topic at hand is the insane reef in the works that we'll all will be drooling over really soooon :D

Back