High Tide Aquatics

Protein Skimmer for 120g plus 60 sump

mray2660

Supporting Member
Looking for recommendations for new skimmer for our system. 120 g plus 60 sump. How does one properly size a skimmer. Currently have unit that looks like a ASM g1 or G2.

Mike

It can change relative to your bioload, husbandry, other filtration etc.

Octopus is making some decent skimmers for a reasonable cost, I'd say Bubble Magnus, but my experience with them is not the best as far as reliability.

Thank you for the suggestions. I saw this on reef dynamics page

"Choosing the right skimmer for your aquarium is all about understanding "Bio-Load". When a skimmer can handle the bio-load of the system, it will actually “idle” when the level of Dissolved Organic Compounds ( DOC’s) drops low enough to limit fractionation. i.e., there aren’t enough DOC’s to form a stable head of Foamate. When a skimmer cannot handle the bio-load, it will continuously be creating foamate and skimmate and never “idle”. This is a clear indication that the skimmer is undersized for the system and should be upgraded or modified to handle the existing bio-load."

Based on this information the skimmer we have on system is mostlikely undersized our skimmer has never been idle constantly creating foamate.

Mike

Back