Jestersix

Pseudocorynactis - Waikiki Aquarium

Currently at the Waikiki Aquarium and came across these. Would love to have one in my tank!
8b73a70af5c085966383ba1d2a9e9718.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you check out the peppermint angelfish that they have ? it was there when I went. probably the most expensive fish in the hobby at around $25,000

Did you check out the peppermint angelfish that they have ? it was there when I went. probably the most expensive fish in the hobby at around $25,000
Wish I could. Sad news: the peppermint angelfish died a couple of years ago and they donated its body to the Smithsonian.

oh didnt realize that, bummer
Yeah I didn’t know either until I asked them about it. Apparently it was the only one of its kind in the US, hence it’s $25K price tag. Visitors have offered to buy it for as much as $30K from the aquarium but all were rejected of course. Due to its rarity, the fish was embalmed at the Smithsonian, where it will “live on forever”.

You mean ball anemones?
SmartSelect_20180406-091703_Samsung Internet.jpg

SmartSelect_20180406-091744_Samsung Internet.jpg

If so, I got a bunch that I might be convinced to offer one when they move to an easy to reach spot... they're at the bottom right rock currently.
SmartSelect_20180406-092329_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you're going that route, and don't intend on too many corals to deck out your tank, I also have gracilis/tulip nems as well... :)
SmartSelect_20180406-091805_Samsung Internet.jpg

Those peppermints are a cooler (temp)/deepwater species that requires rebreathers to capture. They also have to be decompressed on the way up. Most divers don't have the gear or expertise to be able to bring one up. Doing it incorrectly can lead to the death of the fish, or worse yet, issues/death to the diver (decompression).

Some of the only peppermints in tanks aren't in the USA. They're in Asia as parts of huge collection, where collectors will pay upwards of $100k for that single fish.

They can. They also produce sexually as well if the mood suits them but you don't want that in your tank unless you have a large enough system. Mucks and suffocates everything...

Oops I read that they have a more voracious appetite than actual nems and will likely eat any nano fish and inverts that cross its path... nevermind....

Are you keeping nano fish?

Mine seems the most docile... but I don't keep nano fish in my pest tank, though I am thinking about adding them in. But, I have a baby Niger trigger in there now to grow out before moving it to a bigger setup.

Are you keeping nano fish?

Mine seems the most docile... but I don't keep nano fish in my pest tank, though I am thinking about adding them in. But, I have a baby Niger trigger in there now to grow out before moving it to a bigger setup.
You should keep a mantis shrimp in the pest tank lol

If I could get my hands on an unwanted one. Someone on R2R offered me a gorilla crab from Maryland... just gotta work out shipping logistics ;)

I do have a pistol shrimp in there though

Back