got ethical husbandry?

Pulsating Xenia

This is my first DBTC. Not sure the desires for PX these days but I have a healthy, happy colony that self-frags. ;D

*Must be a BAR member.
*Must pass on 3 frags before selling or trading (which shouldn't be an issue with this specimen ;) ).

I will be at the swap next Saturday and am happy to bring with me, otherwise I'm over in Danville.
{edit} the lovely bride has just reminded me that we will be out of town next weekend. Apologies, but I obviously *won't* be attending the swap. Happy to meet folks a reasonable distance as pittance for me faux pas ;)

PulsatingXenia20jan2008.jpg

That particular Xenia started out pretty well and I even passed on a few stalks... and then it all melted away. I was so happy; I wish I could do the same thing to he pom-poms in my tank.
EDIT: I sound really negative and cynical. It really looked good in my tank, I like Xenia a lot, but I'd restrict it to a softie tank if I ever got more.

By 'that' particular PX, I suspect you are not referring to *this* specimen but rather an experience with *yours* - yes? I purchased this beauty from Aquarium Concepts a while back and it remains as healthy as could be.
G

Xenia all have the tendancy to "melt" at some time. I have no explaination why but everyone I know has seen their xenia (pulsing or non) melt at some time to one degree or another. I don't think he was trying to knock your particular animal.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if they were from the same strain. This stuff gets passed around so damn much that it's possible they are all "related" in some way.

BTW(2), Welcome to the group and thanks for offering out coral. I too am in your situation. I have coral, but nothing "rare" or special that anyone would jump at. Besides my orange bam-bams of course. :)

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=2959.msg31667#msg31667 date=1201977964]I have no explaination why but everyone I know has seen their xenia (pulsing or non) melt at some time to one degree or another.[/quote]
Temperature spike pretty much will crash or melt your xenia.

Low alk makes it unhappy as well.

[quote author=greghigham link=topic=2959.msg31666#msg31666 date=1201977162]
By 'that' particular PX, I suspect you are not referring to *this* specimen but rather an experience with *yours* - yes?
[/quote]

*yes*, I didn't mean that *your* specimen had died in *my* tank. Seriously though, sorry about the post, it came off all wrong.

Back