Cali Kid Corals

Pump Emergency - Need Help ASAP

My main pump just stopped moving water a few minutes ago, it's a Dolphin DP-1200 and I have no idea what's wrong with it. I unplugged it and attempted to clean the impellar but no help. Here's a little video of what's it's doing, the water just kinda moves up and down about 6-8" but nothing more.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/2721042312373586/mov03181/

Any ideas? I'm supposed to get on a plane in 3 hours...

if you remove the hose (put your hand above the outlet) will it move water?? Sounds like a case of an impeller getting a bit stuck, my advice, remove the impeller clean it out, give it another whack.

Also try use a straw or something to try to give the impeller a jumpstart by shoving it in the back. I would have a neighbor keep an eye on things when you're gone if possible.

From your other thread it sounds like the impellar isn't sitting properly. Can you run it in some water with no hoses? Does it pump?

I took the pump into the bathtub and opened the impeller housing, it's pretty much spotless. After filling the bathtub it won't move any water out the pump output - can you explain the straw trick a little more?

Thanks for the help!

You would use a straw to get the impeller moving.

Is the impeller seated properly? Both ends in place in the housing? Are the blades of the impeller able to spin all the way around the shaft (they shouldn't)?

This sucks! I hope it works out!

the straw trick, basically when the impeller is plugged in making a sound that doesn't move water, you jam a straw inside the intake part of the pump trying to push the impeller so it gets it started.

Another issue might be a cracked magnetic housing..

normally those types of pumps have a rubber deflector that diverts the waterflow out the discharge side of the pump. They are usually silicon based, and semiflexible. If it were to break off the water coming in would basically just spin around inside the impellor housing. I know they are in the mags, dunno about the dolphins,

Gorm

The .99 cent solution :

Jim advised me that these are notorious for breaking where the impeller attaches to the magnet shaft, and it will basically spin free. I plastered it with super glue and it's good as new. I was on Marine Depot with my credit card ready and everything LOL.

Never fails that a tank disaster happens right when I'm about to leave town, I'm just glad it always seems to happen in the hours BEFORE I leave and not while I'm away :D

SanFranTodd said:
The .99 cent solution :

Jim advised me that these are notorious for breaking where the impeller attaches to the magnet shaft, and it will basically spin free. I plastered it with super glue and it's good as new. I was on Marine Depot with my credit card ready and everything LOL.

Never fails that a tank disaster happens right when I'm about to leave town, I'm just glad it always seems to happen in the hours BEFORE I leave and not while I'm away :D

My pleasure. Cheers-Jim :D

SanFranTodd said:
Jim advised me that these are notorious for breaking where the impeller attaches to the magnet shaft, and it will basically spin free. I plastered it with super glue and it's good as new.
Had the same thing happen with a Penguin 660 power head. Same fix.

Back