Neptune Aquatics

Pump for 65 gal?

Hi All,

It's been ~15 years since we've had a saltwater tank and we got the itch to do it again. We bought a 65 gallon tank today and we're debating if we want to go back to saltwater or transfer our (4 month old) 15 gal planted tank over. I'm trying to put some numbers together now to see which way we want to go. We have some of the gear (sump/lighting/plumbing) already but to get up and running I need an external pump for the sump. Do you have any recommendations on an economical external pump for this size tank that is somewhat quiet? Any good sources for pumps in the Bay Area? The LFS scene has changed quite a bit over the years...

I checked Craigslist a little today but haven't seen too much on there yet. I'm still designing and building the stand and hood and it'll be a couple of weeks before I would need a pump so I'll keep checking Craigslist. Any other recommendations/sources are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Charlie

Thanks for the info everyone.

Mr. Ugly - For some reason I always thought that the Eheim pumps added a lot of heat to the water. Is that just a misconception on my part?

xcaret - Thanks again and I sent you another PM. I might get back with you next month.

Hadn't heard that about Eheim. They're pretty low wattage.

I have a Mag pump that I use for mixing change water. I can count on it to bring the water up to temp without having to use a heater.

Back