Reef nutrition

Pure White Mushrooms

This actually happened a month or two ago but I would like to share how I accidentally made white mushrooms.

The first thing that happened was some large mushrooms split at the base; but these new frags where very small and were not exposed to sunlight so they lost their zooxanthallate ,how they survived is a mystery, they then became clear. This worked very similar to Mendel's Pea Experiment because the clear mushrooms reproduced as usual with the regular mushrooms. Since the gene for non-photosynthetic mushrooms is recessive it was masked in the first generation but in the second generation some of the purple mushrooms from the first generation passed on the non-photosynthetic and if the mushrooms past on non-photosynthetic genes it made a true non-photosynthetic mushroom. These mushrooms were snow white, but they did not grow very big.

Here is a diagram
Key

Sorry, it did not put in the last part but here it is

Diagram

Key
c=non-photosynthetic gene
P=Photosynthetic gene
cc= Non-photosynthetic mushroom
Pc or PP= Photosynthetic mushroom

PP_____cc
PP Pc__Pc PP
PP Pc Pc cc

That happened to a tiny ricordea behind a rock in my tank where there is no light, and it turned transparent. It's still there after two years. :D

Good job on that whole pea experiment bit, it's one of the few things I remember from biology :D

However, when mushroom's split they're not reproducing in a sexual manner, they're cloning asexually, so genes will be the same regardless of generation.

I will be trying to get some out of the back of my tank behind the rocks so I can spread them around. Also one of the neat things about these small mushrooms is since they became white on their own they do not reach a normal size like some of the commercially available ones so they do not require special feeding or even target feeding.

Back