got ethical husbandry?

Purple Polyp Birds Nest

cwolfus

Past President
I received this piece at the first BA-CFM thanks to Gresham. After cleaning up the tank in preparation for leaving, someone from Atlantis handed Gresham a good sized bag of accidental frags from the display. When he refused it, it was handed to my buddy who was VERY excited. Fast forward about 6 mos. to a year later and my buddy already had a few mini colonies of this. He sent me home with one.

My mini colony has outgrown my tank and is soon to have a new home at the Steinhart. (Thanks Rich)

purplepolypsbn.jpg

But they won't miss a few (dozen) frags from it. :D

This is the perfect beginner SPS. It grows fast, tolerates abuse, and still looks good. The body goes from orange/tan to pink and the polyps are purple.

Here are the rules:

You always wanted to try SPS but were afraid of lighting, flow, etc. OR You have less than 5 SPS in your tank
AND You promise to return 2 frags into DBTC before extracting it from your tank.
AND you agree to pick it up at the April BAR meeting

I can only do 10-15 frags so hurry up and get on the bus!

I think this is the one Norm pointed me to at the swap. Did you put this in the swap Charles? If it is, I'm so glad you posted this thread. I was about to give it away because it looked like my other pink birdsnest, but this is definitely different. :D

BTW, this does grow fast. I accidently knocked off the tip, and a week later I noticed a side shoot forming and the tip growing back!

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6894.msg89372#msg89372 date=1237273679]
I think this is the one Norm pointed me to at the swap. Did you put this in the swap Charles?
[/quote]

Yup, I brought a few frags. My lids were pretty clear so you should have my name in that notebook you keep. :D

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=6894.msg89798#msg89798 date=1237356145]
[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6894.msg89372#msg89372 date=1237273679]
I think this is the one Norm pointed me to at the swap. Did you put this in the swap Charles?
[/quote]

Yup, I brought a few frags. My lids were pretty clear so you should have my name in that notebook you keep. :D
[/quote]

LOL ;D Yup, I knew it was you, not what the coral would look like eventually... Thanks for posting the picture. :D

Here's a Limerick for your coral. May not help, but can't hurt...or can it? ;D

Beautiful orange-pink birdsnest
SPSs for newbies it's best
Come one and come all,
please answer the call-
Delivered to Steinhart-the rest.

Hey Charles,

I put the frag I got at the swap under you since it is from you. Hope you don't mind... I was too lazy to start a separate one. :)

Lyn said:
Here's a Limerick for your coral. May not help, but can't hurt...or can it? ;D

Beautiful orange-pink birdsnest
SPSs for newbies it's best
Come one and come all,
please answer the call-
Delivered to Steinhart-the rest.
There was a bird's nest from NantucketWho's branch was so long........(Sorry) :8) Some movie I just watched on NetflixI'd like a little branch! I'll be in S.F tomorrow, could I p/u 'round luinch? (heheheh)Thanks

Back