Neptune Aquatics

Purple PVC primer

While I was gluing up the very last fitting to get our new tank up and running this weekend I managed to drop the primer brush on the kitchen floor :) Anybody know of a way to get purple PVC primer out vinyl flooring? I tried bleach and MEK and that didn't put a dent in it. I think I have some scraps of the flooring left over in the attic. I was just hoping there was an easier way to do it without patching the floor.

~Charlie

I was bored so I did some google-fu and got this

What strength acetone did you use? I didn't have any pure acetone, but my wife had some nail polish remover with some in it. It wouldn't even touch the stain.

Go to the hardware store and purchase a QT. of the straight stuff, saturate a rag and go to town.

That was more then a year ago and the stain was fresh, I'd first try it under the refrigerator first just to see what happens, so YMMV . . . . .

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18189351-Remove-purple-PVC-primer-stain

-Gregory

Thanks Gregory. I picked up some clear primer at lunch today. I'll give that a try as soon as I get home and if that doesn't touch it I'll go see if I can find some acetone.

Thanks,
Charlie

Been there... tried the clear primer and acetone... I lost my friends security deposit for him :(

The clear is actually working a little. Looking at the ingredients on the can it's mostly MEK and acetone. If I leave it on long enough, and dab like mentioned in the link above, it definitely lightens up a bit. I think I'm still going to have purple polka dots on the floor but much less noticeable :)

~Charlie

After 3 long hours I managed to get roughly 95% of the purple out of the floor using the clear primer/cleaner. What's left are a couple of big (about a half dollar size) very faint pink spots where the brush landed and they are somewhat hidden under the table. Now if you walk into the kitchen you don't notice it unless you're specifically looking for it. I think I'll go back to doing my plumbing in the garage again :)

Thanks,
Charlie

Back