got ethical husbandry?

putting a black background on an in-use tank

So I was smart and set my tank up completely and then realized I forgot to put on a black background. Spray paint is more or less out of the question, but does anyone have any ideas aside from carefully painting with a brush/roller? Tanks is acrylic if that makes any difference.

I did the same thing and just bought a small can of low odor paint and a foam brush. 2 coats and it was good. As long as the glass is clean first you can't mess up.... or at least you can't tell from the front anyway :)

I don't think you can paint acrylic without light sanding it first. I don't think the paint will stick too long.

How far is the back of your tank from the wall?

Ive painted acrylic and glass tanks with a brush before. It works fine, just make sure the surface is really clean.

You can also add a clear acrylic before to protect it.

The back wall of the tank ranges from about 6" to about 14" (it's a standard rectangle tank stuck into a corner).

I think the whole idea of sanding before painting is for durability. The back of my tank shouldn't really be having anything touch it. And it's still very clean, I have the protective paper on the back still for some reason.

There are paints out there specifically for painting plastic, off hand I don't know the brand, but I've used them in the past without any problems. Just tape and use a narrow roller.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4314.msg52279#msg52279 date=1218688410]
You didn't have to sand the acrylic? I saw the instruction from the pro that you should sand before spray paint it.
[/quote]

Your "pro" was talking about durability. You can paint acrylic with out sanding, I've done it nearly a billion times. Inf act, I did it just yesterday on a TruVu stock 40g. As long as it's not a high traffic/durability question, you'll be fine with rolling it on (low voc water base) or ever spraying it on (rattle can).

Another alternative is to visit a sign shop like Sign A Rama ( http://www.signaramasj.com/contact_us.htm ) and get vinyl i the color you want and apply it. You'll need a squeegie and application fluid though :) That would be your most durable option :)

Oceanvisions backing works well.

http://www.petscapeproducts.com/index.cfm?action=cat.catalog&categoryID=1&searchfor=&startRow=10

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4314.msg52320#msg52320 date=1218728807]
There are paints out there specifically for painting plastic, off hand I don't know the brand, but I've used them in the past without any problems. Just tape and use a narrow roller.
[/quote]

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=118

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=4314.msg52336#msg52336 date=1218731777]
Oceanvisions backing works well.

http://www.petscapeproducts.com/index.cfm?action=cat.catalog&categoryID=1&searchfor=&startRow=10
[/quote]

That's static cling vinyl, right?

My only question with the non-paint options is how well sealed is it? Will water be able to seep between it and the tank?

I've known about Rustoleum, but the problem is I don't dare spray with the tank up and running and limited room behind it, what with the walls being right there. I guess I end up using a roller then, eh?

Roller is fine. I did an entire LFS with tanks in place :) I even stripped the old paint off :D

With both vinyls they will adhere close enough water will not get in :D The option I listed is by far more difficult then Ian's option :) Roller is the easiest and what I think you should do.

FWIW guys, painting it works just fine. Actually read somewhere (RC I think) and it turned out true that painting with a latex paint makes it really really easy to scrape it off if needed.

Looked through the replies on this thread Gresh trying to find the source (thought it was you, but couldn't find it). I try to give you credit man :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4314.msg52335#msg52335 date=1218731740]
[quote author=Elite link=topic=4314.msg52279#msg52279 date=1218688410]
You didn't have to sand the acrylic? I saw the instruction from the pro that you should sand before spray paint it.
[/quote]

Your "pro" was talking about durability. You can paint acrylic with out sanding, I've done it nearly a billion times. Inf act, I did it just yesterday on a TruVu stock 40g. As long as it's not a high traffic/durability question, you'll be fine with rolling it on (low voc water base) or ever spraying it on (rattle can).

[/quote]

8th post on the thread ;)

Easy to scrape off = not durable

Back