Neptune Aquatics

Pyramid Butterfly – Reef safe?

I have kept several of them though not in a reef tank. They are open water plankton feeders. Each fish is an individual and has its own personality. What size is the tank? If possible I would try a trio.

Kensington Reefer said:
I have kept several of them though not in a reef tank. They are open water plankton feeders. Each fish is an individual and has its own personality. What size is the tank? If possible I would try a trio.

It's a 75gal tall with a 20 gal sump. Prolly not big enough. If three could fit with no other fish I'd consider that.

-Gregory

BTW - it hales from several places (Hawaii, Indonesia, and Papua New Guinea). Is one preferable over the other? Some pics show a black face and others show a yellow one. Is this location specific?

-Gregory

GreshamH said:
I wouldn't do them/even one in a tank that size.

Size limitations or reef safe issues?

If it's size limitations does any one have a suggestion on at least one "larger" fish that can be housed in a tank this size? Damsels, clowns, and wrasses are nice, but I'd like one stand out (if possible). If that can't be done than a suggestion on a smaller schooling fish?

Blue and green chromis schools are nice but I've heard that their life expectancy is not the best in captivity. Is this true?

I really want to do what's best for the fish. And with an empty tank right now I can plan appropriately.

-Gregory

Not active like a tang or b/fly. They hang as a group and then pair off for mating rituals. They are adults and I think your tank might be a bit small for all.

I think a 75 would be fine for one Pyramid B'fly, maybe not so much for several. Assuming rockwork offers a lot of open space for swimming. They hang out in big shoals, so ideally you'd want a bunch of them together. They're always found in open water feeding on zooplankton. We have 25 (ish?) in our big tank and they cause no problems whatsoever.

Oh, and the darker face occurs as they age. In juveniles the face is nearly as bright yellow as the body, like this:
Pyramid%20Butterfly.jpg

There is also the Indian Ocean Pyramid B'fly (H. zoster) which has black instead of yellow on the body.
2449452572_2de00c58b8.jpg

Elite said:
What do they eat in our tank??

"They're always found in open water feeding on zooplankton. We have 25 (ish?) in our big tank and they cause no problems whatsoever."

Mysis, krill, flake, pellet, cyclops, etc.

get a group of helfrich firefish or any firefish. colors are beautiful and have some cool personalities. such a mellow fish

JRocha said:
get a group of helfrich firefish or any firefish. colors are beautiful and have some cool personalities. such a mellow fish
i try that before ,they're killing each other until there only two .i'm going try a group of royal grammas next.love to see that in group.:)

lapsan

JRocha said:

Nice fish.

Anyone else have experience on housing more than two? Lapsan's comment worries me. Also are they jumpers...the tank is an open top.

-Gregory

well I know one person keeping 4 helfrichs in a 29 and they are doing ok for now but its only been a couple of weeks so I can't say that he's successful yet. I think all gobies are jumpers cause they get freaked out real easy.

There is always an exception to the rule BUT that does not make it the norm ;) Helfichs are more likely to be collected in a family group then that of normal ones.

Back