Kessil

Pyramid snails

Coral reefer

Past President
I have a tank with two clams in it. Previously there have been a couple clams that seemed to be healthy in this tank for a few mo ths and then suddenly die. I was uncertain about what could have been the cause, but now one of the new clams was not opening all the way, so I looked closer, and saw a bunch of tiny snails.
11ee5ce9.jpg

fc3ee38f.jpg

52d62ee1.jpg

After doing some reading I will maybe add a wrasse (six line?) and manually removed as many snails as possible with the clam in a bucket. Any other suggestions? Thinking of taking the infested one out in hopes that the other will be okay. Is this plain stupid? Would anyone want to take the infested one and try to clean it up?

For the most part...

sixline wrasse are diurnal...

pyramids are nocturnal...

Sixlines have never helped me get rid of them, especially if you have other snails (pyramids will also attack other snails IME)

you need to check all the clams when the tank is dark for these snails and scrub off eggs as well. This could take weeks to make sure you get them all, since the snails could be hiding in the sand where you can't see them. if the six lines sees then they will eat them but like Gresham said they are on different day/night cycles so i doubt the fish will get all of them. You could take the clams out, clean them and place them in a QT tank for like 6- 8 weeks to see if more snails shows up on them. Also to check that the tank is snail free for some time. Check the other larger snails too incase they attach to them as well.

The Clam Man speaks.... ^^^ he's the one to listen to, he has had more clams then I ever could imagine having :lol:

I still find a snail or two every now and again im my clam tank.....always pisses me off, but I haven't lost any clams to them yet. Be dilligent in their eradication!

apon%20zero%20edge%20clams.JPG

apon%20zero%20edge.JPG

Sorry to change topic Coral Reefer, but I was wondering how long they can survive without a clam to feed on because I am pretty sure I have a breeding population, of what coral reefer is holding in his hands, in my tank but I haven't had a clam in the tank for about 1.5 years.

Apon said:
Gresham, the sad part is you are right...."I had" more clams :(

:( sad to hear that. You've always been my Tridacnid inspiration :D

Apon said:
I still find a snail or two every now and again im my clam tank.....always pisses me off, but I haven't lost any clams to them yet. Be dilligent in their eradication!

Arnold it sounds like tight management ongoing rather than eradication. Not a bad system if you are ready to check the clams regularly and keep the snail population small. I had them on my clams and trochus. There seemed to be no way to get them all, so I just checked every couple weeks and pulled off all the adults. I never found what I could tell was eggs. With the clams gone now, I am not finding them on the trochus. Easy to
check them when they are on the side panels to see around the foot and shell opening.

yep I keep checking them. the eggs actually are clear and can look like tiny micro bubbles all together. See anything like that. Remove it.

GreshamH said:
For the most part...

sixline wrasse are diurnal...

pyramids are nocturnal...

Sixlines have never helped me get rid of them, especially if you have other snails (pyramids will also attack other snails IME)

Hey Nudi... Read above regarding other food sources for them.

Haha, you guys missed the sf tank tour. It's pretty crazy. He has all these little holders for each clam so he can take them out and check them.

nudibranch said:
Sorry to change topic Coral Reefer, but I was wondering how long they can survive without a clam to feed on because I am pretty sure I have a breeding population, of what coral reefer is holding in his hands, in my tank but I haven't had a clam in the tank for about 1.5 years.

Like Gresham says, could be feeding on your larger snails...but I don't know how long they can live.

Coral reefer said:
Haha, you guys missed the sf tank tour. It's pretty crazy. He has all these little holders for each clam so he can take them out and check them.

fyi - I got the clam holders from Neptune if anyone is looking for them. Just ask Robert

Back