High Tide Aquatics

Quarantine setup

Coral reefer

Past President
So as some may know I used to have a 240 gal flat setup. Long story short it was taken Down and it empty, for now... I hope to re start it someday, and one of the thigns I know that will need to change is the addition of a quarantine set up. I'm not sure the best way to go about putting a qt together though.
I'm thinking of using a 40 breeder or maybe a 55 standard or something, and I figure a skimmer would be nice. A couple powerheads... Probably some t5 lighting... What else would be good?
I'd like to make it so water will be pumped from the flat once a day into the qt. The extra water would go into the sump, where there would be a bulkhead just above the height I want the water level to be at so the extra water volume would go out into a rubbermaid or other container and then dumped. Is there a better option to make the water changes automated? With the relatively small volume if the qt I want to be able to keep the water quality up and keep it very similar to that of the flat.
Any ideas or info from your experience would be appreciated!

Guess I wasn't clear before. Qt would be for corals only, and water would only go from flat to qt to a throw away container, not full circle back to the flat. Make sense? I guess I can just submit to the normal manual weekly water change and setup Ato and doing pumps on the qt as well, just trying to save on duplicate equipment really by making the water change daily and automatic from the flat. I guess it would make the top off and water change replenishment a bit tricky for the flat, but as long as I filled the Ato reservoir with a slightly diluted saltwater solution it would keep the salinity very close. For example, I know the flat evaporates roughly 1.5-2 gal per day, and I set the water change pump to move 5 gal from flat to qt then I know 7 gal go into flat per day, so for a 70 gal top off reservoir I would mix 15-20 gal fresh water with 50 gal of salt water, and that would hold me over for 10 days. Am I making any sense or is it WAY past my bed time?
Thanks again for your thoughts!

Mike,

Is this for corals or fish ? Ideally, you want to keep a QT offline incase of infestation or tank crash. A RB buddy who owned Waves in Oregon used a 40 or 55 gal, powerheads, & T5 HO lights with much success in QTing incoming corals. I wouldn't use water from the flat for the aforementioned reasons.

Back