Jestersix

Quarantine tank?

What do you guys use as quarantine tanks? I want to be prepared for when I start getting fish but don't know if I should invest in a complete second tank or if a 5 gallon bucket with a light / heater / pump would be good.

Basicly don't want to be too expensive. But want it to be good enough for fish when I get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get 10g tanks at Petco for $10. These are nice because they're easier to mount pumps in and you can see your fish. With 10g, you can probably also quarantine slightly larger fish that need more space than a 5g bucket can hold comfortably.

This is what I have:
  • 8g tank (a spare I got a long time ago)
  • Penguin BioWheel filter
  • Tetra whisper air pump + a bunch of airstones
  • 75watt heater
  • Eggcrate to cover the top
  • A handful of MarinePure ceramic spheres or reef rubble in my current tank's sump that I'll use in the QT.
I'll start running my QT tank at least a week before getting new fish, and seed it with some reef rubble / marine pure spheres. I'll also dump a small bottle of BioSpira to get things going.

Then QT the fish for 2 weeks, dosing Prazipro and using Seachem fusion + metroplex + garlic guard for food.

If you want to also treat for Ich, you can also just do the TTM method, which you probably won't need all the bio stuff since you'll be changing out to new water every 3 days. Just keep an eye on the ammonia and use Seachem Prime when needed. Usually feed on the second or third day of each TTM cycle and you won't really have any ammonia.

I’ve got 2 10g tanks for TTM and a 20g tank for larger QT emergencies. I’ve got a nuvo 20 running in a cabinet just to have a cycled QT as well for coral QT or fish as needed.

8f83ea7d83d60998080571336b8f34be.jpg

I have a 20g that I just spin up as needed. Simple HOB filter with some bio material that for now is in my main sump. Will switch to the QT as needed then dispose if I need to medicate. Simple LED strip light on my wall next to it and all hooked up top the Apex. And a few $2 PVC fittings for the fish to hide in as needed. Also have some window screen/mesh that I can just clip on top as needed.

Last edited:
You can get 10g tanks at Petco for $10. These are nice because they're easier to mount pumps in and you can see your fish. With 10g, you can probably also quarantine slightly larger fish that need more space than a 5g bucket can hold comfortably.

This is what I have:
  • 8g tank (a spare I got a long time ago)
  • Penguin BioWheel filter
  • Tetra whisper air pump + a bunch of airstones
  • 75watt heater
  • Eggcrate to cover the top
  • A handful of MarinePure ceramic spheres or reef rubble in my current tank's sump that I'll use in the QT.
I'll start running my QT tank at least a week before getting new fish, and seed it with some reef rubble / marine pure spheres. I'll also dump a small bottle of BioSpira to get things going.

Then QT the fish for 2 weeks, dosing Prazipro and using Seachem fusion + metroplex + garlic guard for food.

If you want to also treat for Ich, you can also just do the TTM method, which you probably won't need all the bio stuff since you'll be changing out to new water every 3 days. Just keep an eye on the ammonia and use Seachem Prime when needed. Usually feed on the second or third day of each TTM cycle and you won't really have any ammonia.

Do you treat for all that stuff every time you get a fish? Or only if you notice an illness?

Treat for all. Can't afford to add any disease to my tank cause I have some expensive fishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I pretty much treat for all as well. I have a number of 10g and 20g tanks. Since I do TTM, I don’t bother with filters. And in the summer, I don’t even use a heater (it’s warm where I live). Just an air stone.

I pretty much treat for all as well. I have a number of 10g and 20g tanks. Since I do TTM, I don’t bother with filters. And in the summer, I don’t even use a heater (it’s warm where I live). Just an air stone.

what is TTM?

Wait for the next Petco $1/gallon sale, they've changed it from recent years but you can get up to a 29g tank for $1/gallon (I'm a fan of their 20g long tanks, mostly because their thin enough to fit on a shelf.

what is TTM?
Pretty much everyone has their own variation of ttm.

Guys, who is it that has that great thread on RC about ttm? Slief (something like that)?
I’ve got 2 10g tanks for TTM and a 20g tank for larger QT emergencies. I’ve got a nuvo 20 running in a cabinet just to have a cycled QT as well for coral QT or fish as needed.

Now I know where to go next time I need a fully cycled hospital tank. That’s awesome man.

In garage I have a 30g tank hooked to a 20g sump. It sits empty most of the time and I fill it with water from DT when I need to QT stuff. I can run only the top tank with a small powerhead & HOB filter or I can run the whole system with a skimmer, reactor or chaeto in the sump.

Now I know where to go next time I need a fully cycled hospital tank. That’s awesome man.

Can’t take credit for the idea. Saw a tank in a cabinet at @scuzy’s home. He has a 40g in a big cabinet. Thought it was a great idea. Doesn’t have to look pretty. I used an ikea cabinet.

Hope it’s not accessible for your toddler that’s going to walk soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I took out the push openers. He hasn’t figure out how to open from the bottom yet. I guess then I’ll have to break out the baby proof latches.

I took out the push openers. He hasn’t figure out how to open from the bottom yet. I guess then I’ll have to break out the baby proof latches.

I’m glad we’re out of the baby proofing phase, but now instead of worrying about them hurting themselves I have to worry about them destroying things.

Back