Our mission

Question About Pumps and Skimmers

So I went home after today's frag swap meet and brought home another RS80 (22" high, black) which oddly enough is shorter than my other RS80 (24", blue). I wanted to some sanity checking on the equipment so I decided to hook them up within a standard round 5-gallon bucket filled with tap water. Unfortunately, no matter the configuration, between swapping pumps and piping between the two sets of skimmers, neither skimmer has a water level that completely reaches the collection cup. Each one is about 3-4" off from making it over the lip and I've made adjustments to the overflow piping to maximum height.

So I guess my question is, has anyone run a skimmer with tap water and experienced the same thing? Is it safe to say that I'm experiencing this issue because of the fact that I'm skimming water that is lacking salt? I hope I'm not going crazy here. >_>

Thanks in advance for any input!

patchin said:
Good to meet you and Brandy yesterday. Thanks for your help.
Great meeting you as well!
Kensington Reefer said:
Freshwater is not dense enough to generate to foam. But if your tap water was generating foam you would not be able to drink it!!
Gotcha, thanks!

Kensington Reefer said:
Freshwater is not dense enough to generate to foam. But if your tap water was generating foam you would not be able to drink it!!

In layman terms, sure...

But technically, not exactly true, otherwise RK2 wouldn't be selling foam fractioners for FW, nor would people be employing them. But.... they require a much different configuration (lots of small necks, rather then one large one).

Back