Reef nutrition

Question for you vortec users

Well, first Seio is plagued by the Taam (same makers of Rio pumps) stamp of approval, but lets assume that doesn't matter. I think the biggest downfall for seio pumps is the very constant inability to restart after a power outage, or unplugging. Sure they might start up flawlessly, but I've had multiple 620 models, and 1 of the 1100, 1500 & 2600 models and just about everyone of them have had issues with restarting, sometimes they restart no problem, but occasionally they will chatter chatter and freeze, and this is something that many people have observed.

Besides that, the Seios really aren't made to be mounted effectively, they come with that 90° bend that shoots outward, but as most have found that's a really inefficient way to use them, so you yank the shroud make them look more like a conventional powerhead, but then how you mount them can become troublesome. But again lets say that you are lucky and have a tank that manages to fit them nicely.

Don't get me wrong Phong, if you have them use them, however for a inexpensive alternative I would probably recommend a Koralia or Modded Maxijet over a Seio, I happen to use them on my softie tank because I have them, but I wouldn't buy another. I am in no way saying you NEED a Tunze or Vortech type pump, but I am saying there are definitely nicer "inexpensive" pumps than the Seio pumps.

I had 1100s and 620s. The restart problem occured when I didn't clean the pump in vinegar after several months. Something you have to do with any PHs including Tunze and Vortech.

I had the pumps configed as "Tunze" style. The other style suck. Seio had been around way before Koralia and Mod MJ. Technology is always improved so they have to be better but that doesn't mean Seio is a crappy PH. ;D .. I agree with you about not buying another Seio.. That is kinda like buying a new PC with a P3 or P4 installed. ;D

(although you are exaggerating a bit on the price of Koralia & Maxijet mods).

marine depot has the koralia 4 for $45. The maxijet 1200 --> 1600 sureflow mod is $34 at marine depot. The vortec afaik is ~ $420 with teh controller. they didn't offer it without a controller, but othersites list the powerhead at ~ $420 alone.

I had the numbers flipped, but it isn't an exaggeration.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3548.msg40482#msg40482 date=1208106678]
ya, but you can get like 10 Koralia 4's and 7 moded maxijets for the price of a single vortech.
[/quote]
10 x $45 + 7 x $34 = $688
or
10 x $34 + 7 x $45 = $655

The MD40W (which is wireless controller and the works0 is $420... I'm unsure which numbers you mentioned you had flipped. Yes Koralias are way cheaper, as are the maxijet, however you couldn't get 10 + 7 of them.

oops. I should have said "or" and swap the numbers.

(and all this "complaining" doesn't change the fact that I want a vortech :p)

Heheh, and all this complaining doesn't change the fact that Vortech pumps are not "must have" reef items, there are definitely cheaper ways to get water to move. Use that economic stimulus package to buy one! :D

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3548.msg40541#msg40541 date=1208135326]
I wonder how much it would cost to rig a manual pump to a bicycle and have some guys from HD peddle all day :D
[/quote]

use a pool pump.

Yes, there are some people who have developed crazing and I have seen those picture(s) - I honestly can recall only one, but I don't follow the ecotech forum any longer (seems to have too many haters and lovers)

The folks that have experienced the crazing from what I recall were living in pretty hot/warm areas as I recall.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3548.msg40544#msg40544 date=1208135851]
[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3548.msg40541#msg40541 date=1208135326]
I wonder how much it would cost to rig a manual pump to a bicycle and have some guys from HD peddle all day :D
[/quote]

use a pool pump.
[/quote]I think Levi's option is the cheapest :D

I have an old original Vortec on my 120 (4ft tank) its plenty strong - not even hot to the touch. Don't forget the battery backup option is great! I got that too.

It can run 2 vortecs, but on my 1 its says it can run 16hrs or so. It has kicked in before automatically, but I haven't tried actually running that long.

from a MAX post
3) Vortec display (not new, but they are announcing the nano pump)

“The MP20 will enable an entirely new segment of the market to experience the technological superiority of the Vortech system,” says Tim Marks, EcoTech director of production. “The attendees at MAX were psyched to learn about the MP20. They were attracted to our booth by the innovative design of the VorTech and blown away by its capabilities.”

While final specifications are subject to change, operational modes for the MP20 include:

· Feed Mode: Slows down your pump for 10 minutes to allow you to feed your aquarium.

· Constant Speed Mode: The pump runs at a constant speed you set based on your aquarium’s specific needs.

· Reef crest Mode: Simulate the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment.

· Lagoon Mode: Simulate a calmer, lagoon reef environment.

· Optional Battery Backup: Keeps the circulation going during power failure for up to 30 hours.

MP20 specifications include:

· Tank Size: 20 to 70 gallons

· Dimensions:

o Wet Side: 3” diameter by 2.25” long

o Dry Side: 3” diameter by 2.25” long

· Flow: 500 to 2,000 gallons per hour

· Power consumption: 6 to 18 watts

· Aquarium Wall Thickness: 3/16” to 3/4”

· General operating Temperature: 20-30º C

· Maximum Motor Temperature: 50-60º C

· Clearance needed behind aquarium: 3”

The MP20 can be upgraded to the MP40w by purchasing a special upgrade kit — providing wireless communication between pumps and even more functionality and flow.

above was sent to me via email from Stephen Crane @ EcoTech

Vortechs are definitely not a "must-have" but for me they are a "sure-do-like-them"! My tangs have a great time with the wave motion, they no longer pace, and the water surface is always "boiling" keeping the water cooler and the evaporation rate high (good for kalk replacement). Tank looks cleaner than with bulky PHs as well. I hesitated quite a while due to price, but am really glad I sprung for them in the end, I think they've done more for the tank than a lot of other expensive stuff. The battery back-up is real peace of mind as well - it kicked in once when a circuit blew and kept everything just fine for 6 hours til I got home and found out. I've lost animals in that time before.

As for the original question, I think one would be fine on a 4 foot tank, I was borderline with one on my 6 foot (155 bow), but eventually ordered a second, probly could have gotten away with one though. You can't do the fancy wave settings with just one, but I think they're just frosting on the cake, more fun than crucial.

I never could get a wave started in mine, I eventually gave up, and decided that simply flow was good enough for me. Almost wish they sold them without the WWD module, because that's another $50 tacked on to every pump.

Of course my tank is long yet slender so that could have something to do with it.

Back