Neptune Aquatics

Quiet One 6000 pump died after power outage?

Apon

Supporting Member
Not sure why I had a power outage yesterady, but my pump didn't restart when the power came back on the zero edge tank....left some of my corals and clams exposed to air and light for a while. Interesting that clams faired better than the coral which look alittle bleached out now, but the clams half exposed to air actually had wet mantles.

Anyways my QT 6000 pump won't restart- anyone had this happen before - or shoudl I just get a new pump....maybe a different brand, but I want it as quiet as possible.....suggestions?

clean it... Most pumps should be cleaned every couple months.

+1 on cleaning.

However I have noticed quiet ones are more prone to stalling on start up, not sure why. Maybe they get hotter and as a result get crusted up quicker. I usually push an acrylic rod through the hole to try and jump start the pump... if not I'll take it apart and vinegar bath. However my last one apparently had the magnet bulge ever so slightly, it barely fits in pump anymore... so I'll need a new impeller, or a new pump (they're usually cheap enough)

Arnold, sorry to hear about your coral & clams getting exposed to air. I used to have a Quiet One return pump in my 29 gallon tank--with a similar problem. It worked fine for over a year, then just stopped working. I did take it apart and soak it in vinegar, but could not get it to run consistently. Had to replace with another small pump. Have been very happy with the Eheim pump on my big tank.

I agree cleaning would be your best bet. After cleaning put the impeller back in and see if it spins freely. I had one of these pumps where the housing cracked on me - no wonder I was getting buzzing i.e. shocked from time to time.

Back