Cali Kid Corals

Qwiv's Reef Perspective

Qwiv

Supporting Member
Hi all:
I have finally settled my life after a few years of moving all around the bay for work and purchased a new place in Belmont, so..... time for another big tank. Looking to probably go with a Marineland 250dd or similar custom. Still working on the proportions compared to the room it will be in. Will also price out getting a custom of similar dimensions or even 4' deep to see the cost would be. (Anyone know a local store that stocks or can order a marine land tank?) Will have low iron front panel and be in wall. The back of the tank will in my office/closet.

Design goal for the tank is to look like a window in the wall and to use perspective in the aquascaping to make it look deeper. Going to do rocks on each side with a canal in the middle, similar to Steve Weast's Oregen Reef aquascape. Planning on aquascaping the rock work in perspective and sloping up the sand in the back to make the tank look deeper than it is. Also planning a shadow box for the back. Really want the tank to look like it is deeper than it is.

The tank is going to be lit by 4 to 5 AI SOLs that I already have. Thinking about adding a solar tube to light up the open sand bed in the middle of the tank. Due to the location of the tank I will not have total sump access like we would all prefer, so I am going to use exterior equipment (skimmer, etc) Thinking Reef Octopus Super Reef 5000 External Skimmer. Was also thinking about making a vortex filter for the drains to remove sediment. These are used a lot in aquaponics, but I have not seen one on a reef.

Anyways, if anyone has any advise or information on getting a tank, I would appreciate it. Cheers.

Another big tank on the peninsula. 8)

You will love a 4' deep tank, it gives you alot of aquascaping possibilities. A shadowbox sounds like a interesting option. I recall hearing about it on Reef Threads. I would imagine you can order direct from Marineland and have it shipped to you.

gimmito said:
I would imagine you can order direct from Marineland and have it shipped to you.

Nope. Most manufacturers will not sell to the public, and UPG will not ship these west of the Rockies last I heard.

I can get the tank with the stand no problem, it is just getting it without the stand that is an issue. We will see.

Back