got ethical husbandry?

Raccon Butterflyfish: Reef Safe?

I have always regarded Butterflyfish as a animal that should not be put in a reef tank but I have heard that sometimes Butterflyfish can be reef safe. I was wondering if any one has had experience in this matter could input.
Please first-hand experience only. Thank you.

I know you said first-hand experience only but.... I do have experience with other animals that are "sometimes" reef safe. And the key with them is they are "sometimes" reef safe simply because there isn't anything in particular they want to eat. I put dwarf angels in a soft tank, and they were good with most everything, except one particular brain I put it, it destroyed it... everything else untouched.

That said looking at butterfly fish they have more of a pointy snout that's for picking at things (polyps in particular), also they tend to need a lot of tank space.

I can't remember where I read it, but I read recently that Raccoon Butterflies weren't reef-safe. Not sure for what reasons.

If there's any question about it, I wouldn't try it.

I had a pyramid butterfly that did very well (until it tried to fly).

AS A RULE:
Butterflyfish of the genus Hemitaurichthys are planktovours (sp?) and "safe". Stay away from butterflys from the genus Chaetodon as they tend to be the coral/polyp eaters.

-Gregory

Back