got ethical husbandry?

Raccoon Butterfly sick

I don't like generically stating a certain chain is bad.

Petco, Neptune, and everyone else gets fish from the same wholesalers.

Don't want to contradict you, but this is not true. There are actually a lot of different wholesalers out there and some have better practices and controls in place than others.

Yeah I have seen his add. Looks interesting.
I would love to get a powder blue tang but I have heard they are susceptible to ich a lot.
Do you guys recommend that I get one at this stage after couple of weeks that my cycling is finished? Or I need to wait and get more experience?
Is this fish hardy enough?

Yeah I have seen his ad. Looks interesting.
I would love to get a powder blue tang but I have heard they are susceptible to ich a lot.
Do you guys recommend that I get one at this stage after couple of weeks that my cycling is finished? Or I need to wait and get more experience?
Is this fish hardy enough?

Personally I would stay away from powder blue and blue (hippo) tang. Crazy ich magnet. I gave my hippo away because watching him with ich every week stress me too much.

Take your time. Learn, and in my opinion, plan out the fish you would like to add, and try to add tangs towards the end. Tangs contribute heavily to nutrient load and you need to be sure your tank can handle it without growing a lot of nuisance algae. And Powder blue is an ich magnet like @roostertech said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that is similar to what I found online by researching on powder blue. So probably I keep distance from him for a while :D

A healthy looking fish is a healthy looking fish. Beyond careful visual inspection in the store and making sure they are eating, you roll the dice wherever you buy fish. You can buy a sick fish from petco or one of our favorite LFS. That's why many TTM, quarantine and are ready to manage problems as they arise.

A healthy looking fish is a healthy looking fish. Beyond careful visual inspection in the store and making sure they are eating, you roll the dice wherever you buy fish. You can buy a sick fish from petco or one of our favorite LFS. That's why many TTM, quarantine and are ready to manage problems as they arise.

Yeah I have to start a quarantine tank as well. Better be safe than sorry always!

Don't want to contradict you, but this is not true. There are actually a lot of different wholesalers out there and some have better practices and controls in place than others.
Fair enough.
I agree that better wholesalers exist. And I am not really even saying the local ones are bad.
But as to specifically who uses what, and which is best ... Yes ... I have absolutely no idea.
I was guessing most stores bought from local wholesalers like Pan Ocean in Hayward, a big one in LA that I forget,
and a couple of others.
I have been inside Pan Ocean once. A fun adventure...

My vote is on Matt at SJ too. I bought all of my fish from him even powder blue tang. Most of my fish are from him and I don't have any issue so
Did you also quarantine the fish? Because I texted him and he says he already quarantine all the fish.

Did you also quarantine the fish? Because I texted him and he says he already quarantine all the fish.

I don't. That was the main reason why I started buying from him and will only buy from him in the future. Since I live in an apartment, QTing wasn't a ideal for me. If I do have room, I would at least place them in separately tank for 2 - 3 weeks tho. There is still a small chance that his QT might missed.

I still quarantine for a few weeks mostly for observation. Overall, I agree with others that his fish are very healthy and most of them are already eating pellets.

Back