RBTA is in hiding.. should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by jepoy, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Manual removal is always best. Herbivores are good too. Tangs, Sea hares, turbo snails.... You might need to cut back on your feedings. It’s growing because it has nutrients available to it.

2. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

Thought about getting a yellow tang but my tank might not be big enough for one. I'm also considering a lawnmower blenny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. dpc goes west

dpc goes west Supporting Member

thats a ton of GHA, i'd remove as much as you can manually and then cut back on whatever is feeding it. are your phos and nitrates in check?

4. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Get your phophate in control

5. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

Astrea Snails FTW

6. DEATH BY SNU SNU

save the GHA for me! My snails love them!

7. DEATH BY SNU SNU

I have one nem that constantly goes in and out and in and out and in and out, each and every day.

8. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

My nitrates and phosphates are in check. GHA is mostly growing on the very top of my rockwork closest to the light. I've also started dosing phytoplankton from algaebarn.. could that be the source of nutrient?

9. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

Yup, I need to get more.

10. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I've always used sea hares to tame a really out of control situation, and then use turbo snails to keep it down.

Sea hares are known to go to town on GHA. Occasionally they won't touch the stuff, but most will wipe it out fast. They also starve if they don't have a lot more algae to consume, so if you're able to maintain it, great, otherwise maybe DBTC or pass it to the next guy or gal.

11. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

Do you know where to buy sea hares? I'm closest to Neptune by they hardly have any snails let alone sea hares, at least I've never seen one there.

12. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

In the past I've gotten them on LiveAquaria, but that was like 7 years ago. I also used to goto this place near my old work place in Concord called All About Fish. But that was also like 7 years ago (or more). They would have them sometimes. I haven't seen them much since. I feel like I saw one at Aquatic Collection recently, but I was just there today and didn't see any.

My experience is they have to be acclimated really well (PH sensitivity maybe). So doing a DBTC and passing them around is kind of terrible for them. I think back in the day we had one sea hare live for about a year in five different tanks. Not sure what happened to it. And other times we only had it survive one or two transfers =(

jepoy likes this.
  13. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

What kind of lights do you have?

14. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

Ocean Revive

15. DEATH BY SNU SNU

cool, what percent do you run them? photo period?

16. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

100% Blue 12hrs
    30% White 8 hrs

Now that I'm writing (typing) it down, are my Blues a bit too much?

17. DEATH BY SNU SNU

That is exactly the settings that Rico's Reeftank runs. Did you get that from him?

18. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

Don't know who Rico is, but I did get those settings somewhere online so it's possible I got it from him somehow.

19. DEATH BY SNU SNU

That's fine. There's no concern with your light settings. I'm curious what PAR numbers you get from them. Did you get a turn with the PAR meter yet?

20. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

I haven't checked my PAR yet. I probably should put my name on the waiting list