Our mission

RBTA propagation observations...

At work I have a little 15 gallon tank that is admittedly a bit of a 'beater' tank. It's got a 150W MH bulb a CPR BakPak skimmer, no topoff, a little heater and a single Seio powerhead. It's barebottom and I don't dose. I do keep the glass clean and every so often change the water, but other than that this tank doesn't get a lot of fuss.

One thing that I have noticed is that this tank produces RBTAs like nobody's business. I started out with a single anemone a year ago and now I am up to 11! They are all very healthy, sticky and a beautiful red color. It's like a red flower rock garden. :p

I believe the reason they split so much is because of my water topoff strategy (or lack thereof). I'm pretty lazy when it comes to topping off, so the water level frequently drops pretty low in the tank. (i.e.: 2 inches below the rim) When I finally decide to go to the drinking water station to fill up my jug, I always just dump the full jug into the tank directly. I believe that the resulting salinity shock induces the RBTAs to divide.

These RBTAs are clones of the original RBTA that I bought from an RC member years ago. Between the ones that I've sold and across all my tanks I've probably produced 30 or so anems.

Wow 11 in a 15g tank? You're definitely exceeding the anemone per gallon rule ;)

I thought the 9 in my 80 was a lot! Well ok it is, but unless those are tiny anemone you must have one big undulating red mass in there, as my 9 easily take up more than 15g tank worth.

Most of the anemones are on the smaller side, i.e.: 3" across on average.

There's not much SPS in there and the other corals are mostly just mushrooms and leathers, so I don't care if they wander around. I have to say the two clowns in there are really happy tho!

Temp shock as well I suspect. Temp fluct. is one way to get them to divide :)

My ATO works very well and my tank temp is between 77.4 and 80.2.
My RBTA has never split and it's 12-14 inches across and 1 1/2 years old for me.

Mine found a spot right away. Never moved since.
It's in a cave type rock in the upper 1/3rd of the tank. Retracts in the cave at night. Loves the light. I never feed it. It has a clown fish that loves it.

Eight said:
I believe the reason they split so much is because of my water topoff strategy (or lack thereof). I'm pretty lazy when it comes to topping off, so the water level frequently drops pretty low in the tank. (i.e.: 2 inches below the rim) When I finally decide to go to the drinking water station to fill up my jug, I always just dump the full jug into the tank directly. I believe that the resulting salinity shock induces the RBTAs to divide.

Sounds right to me.

Ok, so I have been thinking about this and I'm going to try the next step which is to start cutting the BTAs in half to accelerate propagation. (Patrickb and I chatted about this on the SF tank tour) I am going to start with the regular roses and if that goes well, I am going to try my green tipped purple anemone and then just maybe the flame anemones.

I will have a tank that is pretty much dedicated to the BTAs with good filtration.

I will take photos and document the experience.

I've been doing research on RC and I've accidentally torn a couple of RBTAs in half in the past and they've always healed, so I think I should have a good success rate.

Has anyone tried this or have any tips to share?

I've seen a ton cut like that and nearly everyone recovered. It's a fairly common practice.

Nope. That is the exact procedure I have heard. Oh, use a sharp scalpel :) If you need one I may have one Boston Aqua Farm one left and can bring it Sat.

Thanks Gresh for the offer. I've got my own nice clean scalpel ready! :) It'd be cool to start getting more capture bred BTAs out there, especially the rare color morphs.

I wish we had at least on of the CO Sunbursts here. Best RBTA ever, trust me. I'll see if i can get one. They usually sell for $500 :O

Every picture and post on RC re: them seems to get deleted or censored :( I can get Jake to send me a pic though. He got banned for simply posting the pics in a thread about them. He wasn't selling or anything and this was pre Reef Builders for him.

Is it like one of these?

sunburst.jpg

Back