High Tide Aquatics

RBTA shrinking

JAR

Had this one for like 2 1/2 years.
started at 6-8"was 14+ inches now back down to 6-8"
No changes in its care other than started running 20k radiums 4 months ago.
Any thoughts?

Once a week or once every two weeks my RBTA will go from about 12 inches fully extended down to 5 - 7 inches for a day then back. I feel like he's extending for food - but that's just my ocular guess.

It looks like a bud has formed on the rim of the RBTA.
Is this how they split?
It keeps inflating and deflating itself a few times a day.

JAR said:
Never have.
I take that back.
About a year ago I fed it a blenny that was eating my corals.
nothing changed after that.

lol

JAR said:
It looks like a bud has formed on the rim of the RBTA.
Is this how they split?
It keeps inflating and deflating itself a few times a day.

my old one only split 4 times but every time it did this is exactly what it did. Everytime i did a large water change (50%+) it would go through this.

It has been over three months.
It never split.
It has been "hiding" under a ledge.
Almost all white.
Still alive but I fear it is circling the drain.
The clown still hangs in it to no avail.

If you wish to try and save it you might want to start feeding VERY SMALL amounts of food. Mysis is a good choice. Mebbie soaked in Selcon or RN OF for both nutrician and to trigger feeding response. The loss of colour suggests that its no longer able to make its own food nor able to deal with tank lighting which kinda puts it into a downward loop.

FWIW

-Gregory

Some sort of nem disease? Bleached/shriveled/continually hiding.. Might be good just to take it out. You have a PM good sir :)

Sorry to hear the update about the nem. If this was the one in the upper right of your display tank, it was beautiful. I have a clone of my bit green/yellow BTA that you are welcome to have if you'd like.

iCon said:
Some sort of nem disease? Bleached/shriveled/continually hiding.. Might be good just to take it out. You have a PM good sir :)

If he's going to try and save it I would, IMHO, not remove it as the change in water parameters from display tank to QT might push it over the edge. If he has other nems in the same tank (hopefully clones of the distressed one) then yes removal might be the best option.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
iCon said:

If he's going to try and save it I would, IMHO, not remove it as the change in water parameters from display tank to QT might push it over the edge. If he has other nems in the same tank (hopefully clones of the distressed one) then yes removal might be the best option.

-Gregory

I would rather have it go over the edge in a QT tank than in my main regardless. As for parameters... One could always take water from the current tank to fill the QT :)

JAR - I got a little red/black/white envelope today... GUESS! :D

Strange how it went south after being fine for over 2 years with no changes.
Even the light bulb was the same for the last eight months.
It has some weird cloudy streaks in it that look like veins.
Maybe it is diseased.

Back