Reef nutrition

RBTA Split...

So we have had this RBTA for a couple weeks and it has never moved from the spot we placed it. It colored up nicely (red tips greenish base). It got 3 times bigger than when we first got it. It started hosting the clowns and now it split into 3... we just changed our lighting schedule down to 6 hours from 12 due to really bad brown algae issues. Is this something we should be worried about? Should we change the lighting schedule back?

Last edited:
Those RBTAs are pretty resilient. Yes, they do need light, but I think you're safe with 6 hours a day. I've heard of people that have done full black out for 3 days straight with no adverse reactions from them.

as others mentioned, you should be fine... the nems might have split from stress due to sudden changhes in environmental variables... so the lighting "might" have triggered it. However, i woudl be more worried ramping light up suddenly than down. Enjoy the nems!

Congrats on the splits! Nice looking nems!
as others mentioned, you should be fine... the nems might have split from stress due to sudden changhes in environmental variables... so the lighting "might" have triggered it. However, i woudl be more worried ramping light up suddenly than down. Enjoy the nems!

Thanks now the new "problem" is they are in a 20g tank.. I am uncertain that having that many rbtas in that small a tank is a good idea =\.

Yeah, nems in any tank are pretty much always a problem at some point, unless there's no others corals, or at least not ones that you care about getting stung/killed.

Back