Neptune Aquatics

RC BAR is no more!

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3978.msg47278#msg47278 date=1214443818][...] how does that look on us as a club if we don't have people who want to "in charge"[/quote]

Hey, this is the club where people can't give away free corals anymore too :D

only good things come of this IMO. the GB/WTT/WTS/WTB people still have a high traffic forum, and we get to be the high and mighty reefers we always have been :D J/k

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3978.msg47278#msg47278 date=1214443818]
Wow my post made it to a sticky in announcements... I'm honored! :D

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3978.msg47165#msg47165 date=1214409817]
[quote author=Elite link=topic=3978.msg47160#msg47160 date=1214406943]
Funny ;D :D ::)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1418686
[/quote]Second post says it all ::), goodbye RC :-*
[/quote]

Interesting other perspective to look at here, not specifically this message but I was browsing through a few more recent messages, and they have 3 people as candidates for the VP position. Now mission statement and way we push forward aside how does that look on us as a club if we don't have people who want to "in charge", as far as I can remember this club never has had an actual vote for the leadership, it was simply people who said "I'll do it" and we that was that.

[/quote]Not to sound dickey Mike, but I believe the pot is calling the kettle black here. Most of the time people hang out and work up the ladder in these types of organizations. Not only that, wait and see how much help we have during the frag swap coming up, many of which will not be BOD people.

My first official vote as a BAR member is for Mike as VP, you wanna step up?

See I'm not saying no one wants (and does) to help out and work for BAR, but it does seem that getting people to setup to positions of authority as does it seem with MARS. I'm also not trying to infer BAR is some sort of dictatorship either. Just sometimes it would be nice to see if people step-up. Me? I'm just as guilty as others, however...the point I was sort of trying to make is it'd be nice if we had more options than playing musical chairs with those that are "Really active" in the club. People who have been in leadership roles have performed admirably, I just don't want to be in a leadership role because "It's my turn" and I've been around/active with the club for a while.

Who knows maybe I'm looking too much into this, maybe if BAR was concerned about lots of posts I would run for VP since that seems like a pretty easy job :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3978.msg47286#msg47286 date=1214449912]
See I'm not saying no one wants (and does) to help out and work for BAR, but it does seem that getting people to setup to positions of authority as does it seem with MARS. I'm also not trying to infer BAR is some sort of dictatorship either. Just sometimes it would be nice to see if people step-up. Me? I'm just as guilty as others, however...the point I was sort of trying to make is it'd be nice if we had more options than playing musical chairs with those that are "Really active" in the club. People who have been in leadership roles have performed admirably, I just don't want to be in a leadership role because "It's my turn" and I've been around/active with the club for a while.

Who knows maybe I'm looking too much into this, maybe if BAR was concerned about lots of posts I would run for VP since that seems like a pretty easy job :D

[/quote]

I kind of see where you are coming from, but there is an intimidation factor when it comes to the upper eschalon of the club. The thing is there are quite a few people out there that I would imagine would be happy picking up the slack, but that is difficult when there's nobody there to guide them. At that point, it's nobody leading the blind. To further frustrate things I read comments like yours and think "step up, instead of complaining". Again I don't mean any offense, but if you were putting yourself out there my attitude would be different towards your comments.

Yeah I hear what you're saying, and I've known you for a while Jeremy I know where you're heart is, and know you don't mean any offense towards me. And my comments weren't really focused on a "step up" part, but I really wish someone didn't have to "step up" we had choices.

And Jim's comments elude to something I didn't want to say to further intimidate others who might want to step up :D

[quote author=Elite link=topic=3978.msg47293#msg47293 date=1214453709]
My vote is for Jeremy as Prez and Mike as VP.. You guys make a perfect pair :eek: ..
[/quote]My vote is for Phong as Prez, and Phong as VP, Phong as Sec., and WTF.... Phong for Trez... :D

Let's start a new thread for the fall election guys :) I'm curious which current BOD wants to stay on and which positions are definitely open in the fall.

Our bylaws state we should have one every year but since the positions usually don't have competition there isn't much need for an election. :)

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?page=6

Article V - Board of Directors
Section A
The Board of Directors shall consist of the Officers of the organization who are elected every year. In the event a Board member resigns or is removed, the remaining Officers and Directors, even if less than a quorum of the Board remains, shall fill the vacancy or vacancies for the unexpired term(s) by appointment.
Section B
Meetings of the Board of Directors shall he held prior to the general membership meeting of the organization at a time and place determined by the President. Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the President, the Vice President, or by notice signed by a majority of the Directors and notice given to the board members not less than one (1) day prior to such meeting. Special meetings may be held at any time or place agreed upon by a majority of the Board.
Section C
A majority of the duly elected or appointed members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum.
Section D
BAR will be governed by a Board of Directors (BOD). The BOD shall be responsible for all aspects of BAR. The BOD is empowered to make binding decisions for the benefit of BAR. These decisions can include but are not limited to organizing the general meetings, arranging for publications and meeting notices, organizing and conducting special events. All decisions made by the BOD are final.
Section E
Members of the board of Directors are exempt from paying annual membership dues. When their renewal date occurs during their term of office, members will receive the renewal of an individual membership without dues payment. Once no longer on the Board of Directors they will be required to begin paying dues at their next annual renewal.
Article VI - Officers
Section A
The Officers of the organization shall be the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Communications Director, and, if available, 4 officers at large, all elected by the members of the organization for a one year term. Nothing in this section shall preclude any Officer from serving more than one consecutive term, providing he or she is nominated by the nominating committee or from the floor.
Section B
A vacancy in any Officer position shall be filled by appointment of the President.

Article VII - Election of Officers and Directors
Section A
Election of Officers and Directors shall be held every November.
Section B
Candidates for election to Officer and directors, or any person being considered for appointment to an open Board of Directors position must be a member in good standing.
Section C
The President must appoint a nominating committee at the September board meeting of an Election year, comprised of not less than three (3) members including a Chairperson of that committee. This committee shall meet and select candidates for the Officers and Directors to be presented to the membership at the October general membership meeting.
At the October general membership meeting, the chairperson shall present the candidates to the membership. The President shall call for nominations from the floor. If there are no opposing candidates from those presented by the nominating committee, a vote shall take place. If there is more than one candidate for any of the offices, voting shall take place the following month during the November general membership meeting. Nominations from the floor, if any, shall be made by persons who are members in good standing.
Section D
Voting may be verbal, by hand, or by secret ballot, but if two or more candidates are nominated for any position, then the vote shall be made by secret ballot. The candidate with the highest number of votes shall be declared elected by the President. In the event of a tie, the President shall call for another vote (run-off) until one person is elected.

Yep, yearly.

Though often we don't get anybody that wants to fill a position. We end up drafting/coercing/tricking/guilting people into serving, if we can :D

Seriously though, as people have alluded to, there can be a kind of intimidation factor of not knowing the extent of the responsibilities. And everybody wants to help, but are concerned about letting the club down if they find they cannot follow through with the work.

I think we are in a good position for the upcoming election. Our forums have really been jumping, and members are active as well as interactive. We've had quite a few members attending recent BOD meetings. So there is interest in the workings of the club. Makes it seem more doable to be a part of the BOD team.

I'll say this, the BOD does work together taking care of a lot of behind the scenes club stuff. It's a great group of folks, for sure.

Just for some insight... check out these site statistics for our top 10 forums by number of posts:

Reef Talk 9712
BAR BOD 8641
Don't Break The Chain 5089
Events & Announcements & Stuff 4215
Buy, Sell, Trade 3245
The Eutrophic Zone 1931
Photography Forum 1467
Members tank Journals 1454
Frag swap info and guidelines 1310
Don't Break The Chain X-treme (DBTC-X) 1166

BOD forum is a close second, behind Reef Talk. And that is just with the handful of BOD members. Definately a group that works together alot as you can see by the post count.

There's no reason to be intimidated. Everyone brings something different to every job they do. It's all good. I was Trez for a while, then VP for a while, then a period in Tonga, then VP again but now the mag keeps me too busy to volunteer again.

Back