Jestersix

Re-DIY glass tank

Well, I think the time has finally come for me to build the frag tank again; I took the glass panes apart; even the bottom is low Iron glass !!
I need some good pointers to the best way to re-do the whole thing; I'll get RTV silicon in black.
Does acetone dissolves/softens the old silicon?
I'll be using single edge razor blades to remove most of what's bonded to the glass and want to make sure scratches are kept to a minimum or none from using the razor blades.

I'll post some images as I progress on the tank, is going to take a while since is going to be on spare-time basis.

Nothing really softens cured silicone, best method is to scrape it off.

Thx, so basically Acetone will be to clean the glass from other stuff I assume once all the silicon, coralline and gunk on the glass is gone.
Glass panes came off really easy. Noticed the tank has a double bottom, glass on top of thin PVC sheet.

Yah once you scrape it all off the acetone will help get the remaining off as well as any oils, etc

Glass is all clean but noticed one thing, all four sides do not sit on the bottom glass !!!
The silicon bond of all pieces is on the perimeter of the bottom glass which used to sit on the PVC bottom.

This is an image of the seam that had the leak, you can see the sand that was sandwiched between the glass and silicon. it shows too where the glass panes met right at the perimeter of the bottom glass and the PVC sheet is shown.

1216001229.jpg

1216001230.jpg

Its OK if they dont sit all the way down, when you put it back together you should place a thick bead of silicone under each of the four sides. Dont press it down just let the weight of the glass itself rest on the silicone. Its going to squeeze out a little, just wipe off both sides and let it set up overnight.

Then you should place a nice clean bead on all the inside seams and let set a couple of days.

Ive filled pretty large gaps with silicone they never leaked, just make sure not to press down on the glass, do it in mutilple stages and most of all have good paintance with the curing times.

Also after cleaning the glass with acetone, use a little soapy water clean again, then dry. Just to make sure you got all the acetone off before sealing.

Goodluck!

The bottom glass piece should be inside the side pieces. It is not like an acrylic tank where the side pieces sit on top the bottom pieces. The reason for this is because silicone does not do well with shear forces.

Thats is correct acetone does evap, I just like to be safe. Either way.
As far as the shear strength of silicone, you would have to send it to mythbusters? I guess you could get more strength by putting the center portion within the sides, cutting 3/8" off each side, that would be a pain in the butt. I dont think this tank is big enough to worry about.
Hope you get it together with no leaks! Good Luck

Back