Our mission

Reactor quest

I have been considering running a reactor with bio-pellets and I have heard some mixed reviews on what reactor I can use. I have been told that I can use my extra 2 little Fishes reactor for this. Some have told me yes some tell me no. Any body out there have any thoughts on this subject? I have a total water volume is about 110-120gal, which means that I would use about 500ml of media using the Warner Marine's EcoBak pellets. I have no problem with buying a new reactor for this just curious if what I have will work.

I tried using my BRS dual reactor, with one canister having carbon, and the other the biopelllets. Problem was, there just wasn't enough flow with the usual recommended pump.

I've seen videos of the AVAST cone bottom one, and that one looks like it's outputting a ton of flow so that the pellets are rapidly tumbling around. I believe if you can get al the pellets to move rapidly, any reactor will work. That's my understanding at least. The cone bottom ones look like it helps the pellets move around the most.

I'm probably going to get the avast once they're for sale. I don't know if they've been released yet.

You're going to have a tough time getting a good tumble without binding in a TLF reactor. I could see 250g, but 500g could pose some issues.

Well after my math was corrected I need closer to 750ml of media not 500ml. I wonder to if I can get a good enough tumble in the reactor with that amount.

Back