Receding brain coral

Discussion in 'Propagation' started by sfboarders, Apr 11, 2010.

1. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

I had a brain coral that was nipped at and I pulled out the dremel with diamond blade and scored the tissueless skeleton away. I had to use a hammer and chisel to break the skeleton/rock away. After a couple days I noticed the tissue is receding. Is there anyway to stop this and why is it receding?

2. jdizzle707

jdizzle707 Guest

Mine started to recede a while back after moving to our new place. I just left it alone and it recovered. There are still skeletons showing but its a lot better than what it was. Couldn't believe I almost took him out to the garbage can. What is the purpose of dremeling the skeleton away?

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Low ALK and low MG will do this, what are your levels?

4. tuberider

tuberider Guest

A light bastering blowing any necrotic tissue away can really help if there are any signs of infection.

5. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

It ended up dying. I even dipped and basted with revive and it still receded. It was in my QT with a new batch of Aquavitro water so I'd expect the alk and mg to be at recommended levels. Oh wells.....

6. phishphood

phishphood Guest

+1 to the reason for demeling away the exposed skeleton?

For the most part, I've found that LPS regrow over skeleton just fine.

7. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

I'm going to take a wild guess here, and there isn't enough info to know whether I'm right but is it possible that you overheated it while using the dremel?

8. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

I dremeled from underneath the tissue on the rock it was attached too. I don't think it overheated the coral. The other maze brain coral I cut up is healed up and fine.