Our mission

Receding brain coral

I had a brain coral that was nipped at and I pulled out the dremel with diamond blade and scored the tissueless skeleton away. I had to use a hammer and chisel to break the skeleton/rock away. After a couple days I noticed the tissue is receding. Is there anyway to stop this and why is it receding?

Mine started to recede a while back after moving to our new place. I just left it alone and it recovered. There are still skeletons showing but its a lot better than what it was. Couldn't believe I almost took him out to the garbage can. What is the purpose of dremeling the skeleton away?

It ended up dying. I even dipped and basted with revive and it still receded. It was in my QT with a new batch of Aquavitro water so I'd expect the alk and mg to be at recommended levels. Oh wells.....

I'm going to take a wild guess here, and there isn't enough info to know whether I'm right but is it possible that you overheated it while using the dremel?

anathema said:
I'm going to take a wild guess here, and there isn't enough info to know whether I'm right but is it possible that you overheated it while using the dremel?

I dremeled from underneath the tissue on the rock it was attached too. I don't think it overheated the coral. The other maze brain coral I cut up is healed up and fine.

Back