Recommendation for an RODI booster Pump

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Wlachnit, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Does anyone have a recommendation for a booster pump? Or have one that they aren’t using and willing to sell?

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Aquatec is like THE maker of booster pumps, you can get some knock offs of it that'll save you $20 or so but I wouldn't bother with them for such a small savings.

Coral reefer likes this.
  3. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

They sell it at brs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I've used the aquatic 8800 for many years. Easy to install. Around $100 new.
    I'd be curious to know if there are other brands that might be better somehow, but they work pretty well.

5. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

There's also that RO Buddy that's available as well. There was a used one sold on this forum awhile back.

I have the Aquatic 8800 that I haven't had a chance to install.

6. I just hooked up an Aquatec 8800 I bought from Xcaret. It's working great. Took a little fooling around with because when I first hooked it up correctly it had a pressure of 140. :) Now I know how to easily adjust though.

7. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

How loud is it? I’ve read a few reviews and the feedback is that it’s loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. I put a pad under it for vibration and it's not noisy at all.

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I wouldn't want it in my bedroom for sure. Does make some noise, but not that bad if it's located in a garage or something

10. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Thanks for all the feedback. My input pressure is 55-60psi. Will I see a significant improvement with the booster pump? Worth doing still?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

What does your filter say for recommended pressure? I think your 55-60 psi is the target level for most membranes. Double membrane systems may specify a little higher.

I have about 50 psi and use 2x 90 gpd membranes. I considered getting a booster but didn’t because it works close enough to spec to not be worth the hassle of a booster to me. You can just check your GPD and ratio of product to waste water to see if it is performing well at your pressure (both of those would be lower than spec if your water pressure is too low).

12. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

You only want it for 60-80psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I think 80 is ideal. And yes I still think it's worth it, you will reject (use/waste) less water. Also will allow you to add second membrane in line if you don't have it setup yet.

14. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

All makes sense except the "hassle" part. One time purchase. One time install of about 10 min.

15. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Will, just want to clarify that you mean your input pressure into your RO membrane is 55-60, not input pressure into the prefilters, etc. Just wanted to check where you were measuring the pressure.

16. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Ooh....good question. I’m measuring pressure into the pre filters. Should I be measuring pressure just before the RO membrane?

17. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

18. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Yeah your pressure is probably considerably lower by the time it reaches your RO membrane. The goal of 60-80 stated earlier is before RO, after prefilters.

Coral reefer likes this.