High Tide Aquatics

Recommendation of auto feeder

99sf said:
Kinetic, does your auto feeder have a ring underneath it, to prevent the pellets from falling into the overflow? Would you recommend the feeder ring that you are using?
Yeah I think I bought a purple feeder ring from Petco a long time ago (like 4 years ago) and just used that. It actually is a perfect length for me. It works well, doesn't look that great though (I'm all about the presentation of the tank / equipment). I may get another one and spray paint it black.

I think ideally you'd want some kind of "funnel" that will direct the pellets down into the water column when they sink, because after awhile the pellets will sink down and then float right back up to the surface. But the ring does a good enough job for now.

There seems to be a lot of room for innovation in the auto feeder world...

kinetic said:
99sf said:
Kinetic, does your auto feeder have a ring underneath it, to prevent the pellets from falling into the overflow? Would you recommend the feeder ring that you are using?
Yeah I think I bought a purple feeder ring from Petco a long time ago (like 4 years ago) and just used that. It actually is a perfect length for me. It works well, doesn't look that great though (I'm all about the presentation of the tank / equipment). I may get another one and spray paint it black.

I think ideally you'd want some kind of "funnel" that will direct the pellets down into the water column when they sink, because after awhile the pellets will sink down and then float right back up to the surface. But the ring does a good enough job for now.

I've seen a proto-type of a something like the funnel you mention. It should hit the market soon :)

GreshamH said:
kinetic said:
99sf said:

I've seen a proto-type of a something like the funnel you mention. It should hit the market soon :)

sweet =) make sure to send a message my way if you don't see a post from me drooling over it already.

I use an ehiem for my kids freshwater fish, but I really prefer something with individual buckets for the main tank.
I use : Grässlin Automatic Feeder Rondomatic 400

It feeds exactly what you put in the bucket, not some random amount based on flake size/humidity/etc.
And you can mix pellets, flake, and even dried phyto/etc.
You can set it to feed small amounts 1-3 times/day.
It only lasts 2 weeks at 2 times/day, but I see that as good, since food will be guaranteed fresh.
Uses 120V, not batteries. good/bad.

99sf said:
I'm looking forward to an auto-feeder with a funnel like Gresham mentioned!
Me to.
I fiddled with a few things, but no real luck. The problem I had is anything anywhere near the water gets damp,
so any non-vertical surface gets coated with food. And a funnel high up defeats the purpose.

The Super Feeder has a funnel. It's a popular feeder for Apex (can probably used with other controllers too) owners cause it uses AC power making it programmable.

http://www.super-feeder.com/asfmodel.html

sfboarders said:
The Super Feeder has a funnel. It's a popular feeder for Apex (can probably used with other controllers too) owners cause it uses AC power making it programmable.

http://www.super-feeder.com/asfmodel.html

Very interesting - an upside-down funnel. And directly into the water, so only that small bit of evaporation gets up and out.
Might work....

Back