Neptune Aquatics

Red Carpet

LiveAquaria has one. I have been looking for one. Question, to wait or not? I would prefer local, better karma and I can see it in person. No issues with LA, live arrival is quality, but want to buy local. Just have waited for a little while for local source.

http://liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=101139

Good call on trying to buy local. Our state needs the money now more than ever!

Maybe call around to the stores and see if they can order one for you?

I agree with Mike if you really want something that nice you have to work for it. Put out the feelers with the local shops & sponsors, get a feel for the pulse of availability, just hope that they don't all hit at the same time!!!

That could be a good thing?

I'm going to go against the grain here.

Yes, locally we have some kick ass stores, that's for sure. However, LA is more apt to sit on an animal like a red carpet to make sure that it is in good health, local stores do not have that option. Most of us know about carpets and how delicate they are when it comes to acclimation, that and the fact that we really don't know how old these animals are when they are collected would make me more inclined to purchase through LA as they have appropriate resources for the animals.

I have spoken with the lfs that I deal with, all are on the lookout. I am just not very patient, and the tank looks so lonely with only 1 carpet! I saw the price, jaw dropped, but then kept looking at the picture!

houser said:
You definitely know what you're getting if you go the DD route.
So how bad do you want it? Doesn't it look nice?

Corrected it for you :D Non DD items are dropped shipped direct from the wholesaler... no QT, no month of feeding, etc

GreshamH said:
houser said:
You definitely know what you're getting if you go the DD route.
So how bad do you want it? Doesn't it look nice?

Corrected it for you :D Non DD items are dropped shipped direct from the wholesaler... no QT, no month of feeding, etc

oops sorry. YES very important.
I was getting all excited to tease and let it slip.

sfsuphysics said:
Now that is an interesting bit that was left out.

They've been very open about this fact, but I can't tell you where it's posted on their website. I know on RDO's IBTH forum Race and Kevin both acknowledged it and I think their RC forum has a post about it as well.

thought I saw someone posting pics on RC of a red carpet that was available at some Sacramento LFS for something like $400-$500

"rumbling" on the internet, and you judged them on that alone?

Since it is a Red Carpet, yes. I don't know them, so no relationship. The people I deal with in the Bay Area I do know, and in the past if something has not gone correctly, have done right by me. LiveAquaria's DD is well known in the hobby as one of most stringent companies when it comes to quarantine, acclimation, and overall care of the animals they sell (how many online vendors have a live arrival on a Red Carpet?). They stand by their service 100%. If I were purchasing most fish, I could examine it in person, make sure it is eating, and at least have a decent chance of making a decision healthy or not. With a Red Carpet, not only would I second guess any visual clues as to health, I think it is important to make sure that they have had the time acclimate to the captive environment.

Snap judgment on the store? Yes. If they were down the street, I would be able to judge them myself, but they are not and I do not have the time to visit every store.

If you lost a $500 carpet just how would a LFS make it right? I highly doubt any local would replace it given how sensitive and costly they are. No telling where it went wrong ;)

Having seen countless competitors, competitors friends, ridiculous claims by people, etc etc I do not really put much stock in online opinions. Just look at Yelp!!! Sometimes clubs get down on LFS for the littlest/pettiest things, like no discount for club members, etc.

If it dies, it doesn't matter who it came from, it still was ripped from the ocean. The DOA/DAA of "colored carpets" is out this world and our impact on them in the wild is great given their how they breed and how long they can live.

Back