Red Sea Filter Media Cups - Free

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by fishy408, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM.

1. fishy408

fishy408 Supporting Member

Upgraded my media cups, so now I have two of these available. One of them have extra holes drilled, while the other does not.

If you ever wanted to try these over filter socks, now might be a good time.

Free to supporting Members.

filter_cup.png

2. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Reef Geek 3D Printed

Not to hijack the thread, just want to spread info for anyone looking for this stuff after yours are claimed.

I started 3d printing these a while back and I actually found that you can get silverware cups, that restaurants use for holding forks/spoons/knives for about $3 a piece online. This is simply the most affordable way to get media cups, even cheaper than 3d printing them after I factor in machine time.

3. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

I am unfamiliar with media cups. Do you fill one with carbon, Phosgard, etc. and place it inside a sock? Does it need to be fully underwater?

4. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Reef Geek 3D Printed

They are a replacement for filter socks. You can put bagged media in them but most often they are filled with filter floss / poly-FIL so you can just throw it away and replace instead of washing filter socks.

5. MolaMola

So the cup sits in the sock holder? Is the floss supposed to be fully wet at all times? Any noise difference compared to using socks? I use filter socks after water changes, but I prefer a spa flex tube inserted into drain PVC so water enters sump underwater and is silent. I do need to get rid of more detritus, though.

6. fishy408

fishy408 Supporting Member

The cups sits in the place of the filter socks. The filter floss is submerged in the cup and it is much more quiet than filter socks in my system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7. MolaMola

Thanks. I somehow missed your other thread with photos and all.